A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photoshop vs. Pagemaker

Okay this is my question,
    I have aread up on pagemaker and have even tried it,
    Wjhy would some one use pagemaker over photoshop. Even a book i purchased said that you should design all your graphics in photoshop and them bring them into pagemaker, why not save the extra step and just do it in photoshop.....I guess what I am asking is what is the real underlying power and advantage of using pagemaker for print content. What things can page maker do that photoshop cant...and does print quality have any part in it

Any help will do

Thanks

Originally posted by oakleyzrosae
    Okay this is my question,
    I have aread up on pagemaker and have even tried it,
    Wjhy would some one use pagemaker over photoshop. Even a book i purchased said that you should design all your graphics in photoshop and them bring them into pagemaker, why not save the extra step and just do it in photoshop.....I guess what I am asking is what is the real underlying power and advantage of using pagemaker for print content. What things can page maker do that photoshop cant...and does print quality have any part in it

Any help will do

Thanks
    well I think the name really says it all...pagemaker.... photoshop.... pageMAKER.... PHOTOshop... obviously pagemaker is for making pages(not that photoshop can't) its more of a layout program, such as InDesign or Quark , but less powerful. Photoshop is for creating, retouching images, and though it has capabilities to do page layouts etc etc, its not THE best tool to use...heck even Illustrator is better in page layouts because of the flexibility.

As for your question about '...advantage of using pagemaker for print content.' well I would say that Photoshop works on the basis of DPI whereas Pagemaker doesn't (least I don't think it does). And so even if you did your text in photoshop at 300 dpi, it WILL still be pixelated, but you wouldn't be able to tell at 100%. Now I'm just guessing here, but I think Page maker would be like Illustrator and handle text as vectors, and hence wouldn't be pixelated becase of that.

Hope I'm not just rambling here and told you some useful info.

Use freehand. pagemaker is crap, really crap if you were doing text and bulk amounts maybe? but then you still wouldn't use pagemaker you'd use quark so.....

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Try Adobe's new In Design if you want the Photoshop Feel to it.

Originally posted by Eyenovation
    Try Adobe's new In Design if you want the Photoshop Feel to it.
    yep, InDesign rocks. Plus it integrates really well with Photoshop, Illustrator AND GoLive. You can maintain your layer masks from photoshop when you bring them into InDesign...it supports opacity now and a whole host of other features

Print design software like pagemaker and quark, have nothing in common with photoshop.
    For starters, when you import an image into a page layout programme, you are not importing the full cmyk/300dpi image, you are only creating a link, and the software is displaying a mock up.
    This is really handy if you are designing a whole book or brochure with hundreds of images, as photoshop is not able to handle one hundred images of over 20 meg all open at the same time.
    Also, the text tools in a layout package are proper text tools with style sheets and absolute control over type.
    How would you organise a 50 page document in photoshop? in 50 different files??
    I could go on and on and on.
    The two bits of software are completely different and for different purposes.