A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please check my logo

I know it's a crappy quality but this is just a test.
    Want to know if you like it....
    Try to guess what I mean :-)

if we have to guess, means its not a good logo

Well, way to big. Its also kindof hard to understand.

well ok this is what I get from it:
    Head + razor = c design....think that its supposed to mean, brain + edge = Cutting edge design? is that right

Now actually I had something else in my mind, but yours is much better:-)
    I thought, brains + a pencil that represents the design = camme design
    But yours is much better:-)
    But generally what do you think of the logo? I know it's quite big but that doesn't matter.

allways make your logos in a vectorbased program.

how are you supposed to scale it now?

also I think it is a bit to complex for a logo. logos are not games

try to fit all that info in to one design, one graphic, one eyecatching graphic

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    yes, try to work on vector, and it actually looks like 3 diferent logos. other thing the head, is to complex, and looks like is out of proportion.

What program should I use for the vectors ?

Illustrator or Freehand

Originally posted by montara
    Illustrator or Freehand
    If you are going to use logo for print Corel Draw registers
    better in programs than freehand or illustrator. It also has more options in enhancing your logo for different applications. I have all three programs but Corel is more user friendly and interacts better with Pagemaker and other publishing software. You can also export out of it to about any format.

Consider using the two images together in a positive negative way making the C. Blade reversed from Brain to form the letter c. Those kind of decisions will make a logo last longer in a market standpoint

I use xara x for all logotypes, I have illustrator but I find xara works just as well and suits my style better, it has particularly sharp bevels.

Adobe Illustrator continues to set the standard in illustration software, providing one of the richest and most versatile design and illustration packages available. Preferred by more than one million graphics and multimedia professionals, technical illustrators, desktop publishers, and Web developers worldwide, Adobe Illustrator combines the finest illustration tools with extensive typographic control and image support. Illustrator provides the tools needed to create packaging, ad and editorial spreads, brochures, video artwork, Web pages, and more. Apply shapes, curves, effects, textures, grades, fills, and filters to design elements, objects, and images with the click of a button. You can also create paths; and place, trace, mask, and edit or create graphs and freehand drawings with this versatile tool resource. The new reshape tool lets you modify a path or set of paths while preserving details and anchor points.

* CorelDRAW 8 is a powerful and intuitive vector illustration and page layout program that provides a full range of drawing, editing and text tools. Features include: Interactive tools for distortion effects: Push, Pull, Zipper, Twister, Extrude, Envelope, Blend, Transparency, Fills and Transform, internet functionality including WYSIWYG HTML export for fast and easy Web publishing, plus HTML compatibility option, image map creation, hot-spot properties, Bookmark Manager, support for animated GIF files and support for all color models including RGB, digger functionality for easy location of hidden objects, PostScript 3 support and much more.

* CorelXARA 2.0 Information with regard to the CorelXARA drawing package.
    * Deneba Canvas integrates drawing, photo editing and layout functions into one interface. Canvas also lets you edit grouped objects without ungrouping and undo a virtually unlimited number of actions. Other features include: Professional type-handling, import and export options including Illustrator, Photoshop, EPS, PDF, GIF, and JPEG formats, envelope effects, 3-D lighting effects, and much more. You can download a 30 day trial here, or order an Evaluation Kit CD-ROM here.

* Macromedia FreeHand 8 uses range from commercial line art illustrations and newspaper infographics to mixed media pieces that combine line art with bitmapped images and typography, as well as graphic elements, interfaces, and animations for the Internet. FreeHand 8 is also the first high-end, PostScript-based drawing program to offer true, dynamic transparency capabilities while preserving documents in an editable vector format. You can download a trial version here.
    * Mayura Draw formerly PageDraw, Mayura Draw is a small and simple drawing program for Windows with built-in PostScript capability. You can create illustrations composed of graphical shapes such as rectangles, ellipses, polygons, bezier curves, bitmaps and text. Mayura Draw has tools for editing and transforming graphical shapes. All shapes including bitmaps and text can be scaled, rotated, skewed and reflected. Mayura Draw supports editing bezier curves by manipulating handles. Download the 32-bit edition for Windows 95 (250k) here.

* Micrografx Designer is now included as part of Micrografx Webtricity, which is comprised of four best-of-breed, tightly integrated Microsoft Office 97 compatible graphics applications. Also included are: Micrografx Simply 3D 2, Picture Publisher 7, Map This, Micrografx Media Manager, and more.

* Micrografx Windows Draw ships with over 20,000 clip art images and 300+ fonts. Also included are: PhotoMagic® 6, Instant 3D™, Micrografx Media Manager™, Web Publishing Wizard, GIF and JPG Savers, Animated GIF Wizard, and much more.

* Net Sketch originates from the same high-end draw package used by professional graphic designers, but now its been especially adapted for the Web.

* SmartDraw is the program for Windows that lets anyone draw great looking flowcharts, diagrams and other business graphics. Its ease of use makes it particularly suitable for users who need to create professional quality drawings quickly and simply, without having to invest time in learning to use a complex application. 30 day trial download available here.

* StreetGraphics is a resolution independent painting/drawing shareware program, which combines features from raster and vectorial graphics editors: air-brush, calligraphic lines, transparent bitmaps, color blends, and more.

* Xara Webster Software for creating, composing and optimizing vector and bitmap graphics for use on the Web. A package designed to produce the best possible graphics in the smallest possible space.

ouch...

hurt my eyes to read all that. Whenever I see jobs in the paper...I would dare to say... 90-95% of them all ask for Adobe Illustrator. (As well as Quark Express) From the descriptions you posted I would say Corel Draw has many features that were not mentioned with Illustrator..is that bacause that are not available? I have been considering XARA bacause I heard it very user freindly...but havent made a choice yet. Thanks for the info.

-whispers-

Don't be fooled if you want a serious vector program Illustrator is the program.

If your on a budget and need a porgram that thinks it can be photoshop and illustrator in one for a 1/8 the price and you are going to be sending work out to small business and sigh shops buy [Coral Draw]

If you are a Windows user and industry compatibility is not an issue for you, Xara X is your buy it fast and somewhat powerful but not up to speed with big drawing programs like Coral and Freehand. CAUTION I have heard its loyal base of users are extremely zealous!

If you want to design cheesy flashpages and work on the web Freehand is your buy.

If you have some money and are going to send the work out to service bureaus or any print-oriented environment [Illustrator] is well supported. Its been the industry standard since it hit the market.

Logo

I've owned my business for over a year and still haven't come up the my logo so I'm not one to be judgemental but...

My theory is if someone has to stop for too long to figure out what your logo/business is, it's probably not going to work.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Michele

freehand

Illustrator or Freehand are the two options.If you can, get used to both of them as one is better than the other at some functions and vice versa.

Generally design companies do not have a logo (of course there are exceptions) as it is a criteria to be judged on before any work is undertaken. Personally I would make it as simple as possible when doing an identity for a design company, don't make it too trendy as fashions come and go, let your portfolio sell the company and not your logo.

Also, use Quark for prepress and not Pagemaker. Some repro houses do not accept these files and you may have to convert the files to Quark which could be a nightmare in the long run.

There, that's my piece.

Looks like someone has a hard on for Illustrator