A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: another newb chromeless question...

i know that people have asked about chromeless windows many times, but i still havent got the hang of it. if anyone could post some help on the whole process in the making of a chromeless window pop up.i have read over the help at the microbain site, but im lost =/ im trying to make a simple button in flash open a chromeless popup with a flash movie in the popup window. once again, if anyone could help me out i would be greatly appreciative.

--------
    Help on:
    -source code for both pages (one that opens the popup and the actual popup)
    -flash button action script (calling up the popup)
    --------

thanks for your help

check the source of the site in this topic

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=368104

FK's Super Loquacious Randomite ad_mtk2's Avatar
    THE CHROMELESS WINDOW!!!

ok, There's SO much involved with the chromeless window That it is hard to explain.

What i have done is made an index page (HTML) with a button (could be your image) and it opens the flash movie. in the flash movie i have made a button to open the index page again.

[small]
    [Edited by ad_mtk2 on 09-14-2002 at 04:30 AM]

I have also included a list of what all the javascript codes are within the <head> tags of the pages. this is so that you know what they are and can change them.

you can have a title bar in the chromeless window but i have set it to zero:

var tsz =0;

if you make this visable, (just put a number for the number of pixels) you will see buttons to 'close', 'max', 'min' etc. These buttons are located in the 'img' folder. Please change them as they are MINE! I just left them there so you could see.

IF you don't want a menu bar, then you will have to make your own close buttons in your flash movie which might be easier. all you need to do it put the following code on the flash button:

on (release) {
    getURL ("javascript:window.close()", "_self");
    }

For the HTML button (image) in the index page, this is the URL you will need:

<a href= "#" onclick="home=openIT('FLASH MOVIE URL',WIDTH,HEIGHT,null,null,'NAME OF FLASH MOVIE',0,true,true,true);">

and the 'null', '0' and 'true' commands are linked with this code in the <head> tag:

<script language="javascript">
    function openIT(u,W,H,X,Y,n,b,x,m,r)

look at the javascript page to see what these codes are.

For the FLASH button in the movie page, this is the URL you will need:

javascript:openIT('URL OF POP-UP',450,450,null,null,'NAME OF POP-UP'),thanks.html

For some reason the flash movie will freeze when you click on this UNLESS you put a URL of an HTML page at the end that doesn't exist. I don't know why, just leave it as 'thanks.html' providing you don't have a page called that, and it will work.

I think that's about it for now. If i think of anything else, i will let you know.

If you have any queries feel free to e-mail me:

ad_mtk2@hotmail.com

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try this and see what I come up with...

Yay! I finally got it to work. I'm not sure what I did wrong at first. When I was testing it I tried what you sead but something wasn't right, so I copy and pasted the source code for both pages and it worked right ( Don't worry, just the chromeless scripting portion )

Thanks for helping!
    [Edited by trixz on 09-14-2002 at 02:10 PM]

hey, no worries. Any time.