A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Newby-help with .mov compression

I read over the previous .mov compression posts and am still a little lost. Here's what's up.
    Im using:
    *Flash MX
    *An .mov file (initally 680kb)about 30 secs of footage

I have a 680kb (30 sec) .mov clip of a hyperspace jump. I want to use in a presentation. When I import it into Flash MX and then save the presentation as a swf., the size jumps to 2.8mb.
    This expansion occurs even if i import the .mov file into a blank flash file and save it as .swf. I have tried converting the file to .avi and .mepg to see if I got a better compression, but no luck. So I am very curious as to why flash is making my movie bigger, not smaller =(

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

dazed and a little confused. =)

Thanks all. I went back and messed with it a bit. Dropped down the quality and size a bit then resized it in the movie. Not perfect, but it will do for now. The final size is 342kb. Still a bit heaftier than I would expect for a 1 min clip with a short avi but as I said will do for now. I nabbed the avi off the web, so it probably was compressed. I tried messing with it to attempt to uncompress it, but didnt have much luck. hehe. Regardless thanks all for your input. I'll be bumpin around on Flash so I hope i can return the favor sooon.

Cheers!
    [Edited by tarus911 on 09-21-2002 at 06:49 PM]

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    You will have to play with your import settings that appear when you import the file. Adjust the quality (this is probably the most important), image dimensions (make sure they are no larger than the source and probably smaller), framerate (make sure it is no larger than the source, and probably lower), and keyframing options until you get the size to a place you're happy with.
    Also, start with the best looking source you have.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

It seems to me that its already been compressed. I always use much higher file sizes to start with. You need it to be as uncompressed as possible for flash to deal with it properly.

Later.