A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: More on Preloaders

Red face

OK, this isn't really about preloaders. I'm about to do what a lot of folks tell me I do best: rant on and on about a simple question, while building up to it.

I've created an animation in a separate scene as a preloader, I've added my actions, and everything seems to be working OK. One problem: I've created the movie clip (as in the tutorial found on Macromedia's website) and I'm preparing to "have it run in the first frame" (as stated in the tutorial found HERE on Simple Preloaders). However, I can't figure out how to insert my movie clip (symbol) into the frame.

Can somebody help me? I know the answer is simple, but the Flash online manual gives NO help on this simple matter.

Unhappy

Never mind that... I got that one licked... DUH...

All I had to do was to open my Library and drag my clip from there onto the stage. Sorry to worry everyone.

However, now I have a new problem. I can't get the preloader to work properly. Here's the scenario:

My main scene (named "Intro) has 300 frames and 20 layers. I've created a second scene (named "Preloader"), and I followed the "Simple Preloader" tutorial for creating it. I created an animation, stored it as a symbol and removed it from the timeline of the Preloader scene. I have one layer (named "Preloader Clip") in the Preloader scene, and 2 frames. As per the "Simple Preloader" tutorial, I added the following Action code to the 2 frames:

FRAME 1:
    If Frame Is Loaded (Intro, 300)
    Go to and Play (Intro, 1)
    End Frame Loaded

FRAME 2:
    Go to and Play (Preloader, 1)

Here's the problem: when I test the movie and turn on "Show Streaming", the Preloader scene stays static in its first frame as the main scene is downloaded. Funny thing, though: when I pressed the STOP button to stop the movie, the animation played as intended.

What could I have done wrong? *L*

OK... ALMOST there, you guys....

I've got the movie playing the right way, but now when I publish it and upload, it acts as if there's an ELSE statement, but no IF statement.

What I mean is this:

Here's my code -

:FRAME 1:
    IF Frame Is Loaded (Main, 300)
    Go to and Play (Main, 1)
    End Frame Loaded

:FRAME 2:
    Go to and Play (Preloader, 1)

Now, according to the tutorial, this code checks if frame 300 of the Main Scene has been loaded, and if so, it goes to Frame 1 of the Main Scene and plays. But there's no ELSE statement that says to go to Frame 2 of the Preloader scene.

But what's happening is this: The Preloader runs, but when the Main is loaded, the Preloader doesn't go to it. It simply keeps playing....

What do I do?

I think you have done all the right procedure.

Just a suggestion, check if you have the correct last frame in main. i.e: 299 instead of 300.

Thanks for responding. I got the problem fixed before I left my office last night.

If you want to see it, click here: http://www.geocities.com/~kojo/bash/index.html