A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Avatar chat

you can build stuff like *****.com on this right??

like a avatar chat thing?

psx = new Moderator();
    Yep!
    I have a hacked together avatar engine - although looking at it now it needs some fixes. Unfortunately, my server is still dead so I can't show it to you! It is definitely possible though. Send me an email if you'd like to check it out once my server is back up.

Psx

I say we make a simple avatar chat tutorial for the forum as a community

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    Im making a 3d thingy, but I need some assistence with a drawing (flash)bugg. Hey John, how about taking a peak at it, check my thread in the mx board

psx = new Moderator();
    Somar -
    I agree. As soon as I get my server back, I'll try to document/fix the one that I made and post it up.

Cosmic -
    I replied to your 3d post.. hope it helps!

Psx

yes, i would like to know how to make an avatar chat

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey -
    If you want to get started on your own, you can download mine at:

http://psychlonex.dyndns.org/~john/f.../avatars_2000/

But I have to warn you.. it's not the best way to do it. As soon as I have my server going again, I plan to retool it and post the "how-to" here. But at any rate -- go to town!

Psx

just 3 quick questions...

1. with an avatar chat, each client movie contains the avatars, correct? i mean, all is propelled by variables that the client sends to the server which then are parsed to perform the proper action, yes?

2. what, in your opinion, would be the fundamental 'complete' list of variables to be sent between client and server in an avatar chat?

3. psychlonex, did you enjoy the pink panther video i recorded on your site about a month ago...

psx = new Moderator();
    1. with an avatar chat, each client movie contains the avatars, correct? i mean, all is propelled by variables that the client sends to the server which then are parsed to perform the proper action, yes?
    In short.. yep.

2. what, in your opinion, would be the fundamental 'complete' list of variables to be sent between client and server in an avatar chat?
    That really depends on what you plan to do. In the chat I did, I was sending 3 things:

1. the users id name. This is correspendant with a movie clip on each users screen. This is how I tell each client who is moving, speaking, etc.

2. The name of the action the user performed. This is literally the name of the function that the user just performed. Then I just call the right mc's function when the message is recieced on each client.

3. The parameters for the action/function required. So for movement, I'd send myname, name of my moveTo function, and the _x and _y of where I'm going.

3. psychlonex, did you enjoy the pink panther video i recorded on your site about a month ago...
    Yeah! I unfortunately lost it! I was just about to make a thing that would archive them, so that you could watch the previous week, etc. Oh well. I'll do it soon.

psx

can u teach me to make your drawing board my fellow fk'er?
    it's pretty cool