A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swi-demos on swish-hp defect?

Will the demo .swi-files on your the Swish-site only play in the registered
    program or have they uploaded them in ascii-mode?

Everytime i try to open the following downloaded file found on
    "http://swishzone.com/compound.swi"
    Swish says "Error reading file"...

I really need this file because i want to use one of the effects used in
    this file.

BTW the same happens to all the .swi-files on the site. That's why i think that they have uploaded them using the wrong file-mode (ascii / binary)

Can anyone help me or send me the working compound.swi file?

------------------

This is actually a bug in Swish 1.0 and not a problem with .SWI files on the site. This bug is fixed in v1.01 (due May 29th).

To work around the problem: In Windows Explorer choose View | Options and uncheck "Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Cheers, David.

Wow, what a quick reply...
    But i downloaded the file "swishvonti.zip" from the flash kit movies section (swish movie "extra groove"), unzipped it and loaded the .swi into swish without problems!!!
    Thats the point why im thinking about the file-mode!
    Long time ago I had a similar problem with some freehand-files on the web. if i loaded the zipped files then it worked and i could open the file, if i loaded the not-zipped files there was no way to open them.
    Maybe that the same happens here?!?

BTW i had unchecked the setting in windows explorer but this does not resolve the problem.

Hi David,

i worked on this Problem and here is the Solution:

It has nothing to do with the Version of Swish! If i download the demo .swi files from the swish page with Microsoft IExplorer the files work fine but if i download them via Netscape Communicator (what i did first)they won't...

Greetings from Braunschweig
    (Near to the Expo2000)
    Germany

..the problem was:
    If u db-clicked the file - then the associated program SWISH would open with an error. Instead if u started SWISH and choose open file there were no problems. I guess the samples had simmilar problem, if u selected them via the shortcut in the menu - the program came up with an error - if u instead choosed open file and found the directory, there were no problems.... And as said earlier the bug is fixed in ver. 1.01.

RegardZ ThomaZ