A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Keeping/restoring high-scores in/from text files? HELP

Question

Hey all.. I'm just writing a simple Slot machine game,
    my first one in flash, and was wondering how i could go about keeping and restoring high scores in a simple text file. the game is up at http://www.understyled.org/slotmachine.html, if anyone cares
    but it's constantly being modified..

please let me know.
    porksoda

Red face

ScoreKeeper should do the trick.

ScoreKeeper
    http://www.k2w.f2s.com/software

Kory

no luck

i donut have perl.
    any other ways of going about this?
    -pork

If you are wanting to run the game from the internet, your best choices are:
    Perl, PHP, ASP

Of course, my suggestion would be to find a server that does allow Perl for running this game because ScoreKeeper is already written and it would save you a lot of hassle. Other people have written similar programs in PHP and ASP, but I'm not sure about how transferable those programs would be for your game.

Otherwise, about the best you can hope to accomplish is to keep each person's personal best score as a cookie. This would be akin to competing against oneself.

As an aside, I'll mention that I just learned how to write to local text files on windows machines using some fancy calls to DOS (got the example from Daemon Design). This would be the 3rd, but least feasible, solution.

Ok, that pretty much sums up your options. I personally think it's time to change servers if you are wanting to try out things beyond static web pages. There are several free web servers that allow Perl.

Good luck.

Kory