A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please Help!!! I need to know how to make a Drop Menu!!!

Hi, I am using flash 5. I need help on making a drop menu. An example of this can be found at rad-e8.com. When you go over some of the top links, a drop menu comes down. That is what I need to know how to do. I would deeply appreciate anyone helping me. Thanks.

-Andrew

Here is one way to create a pulldown menu. Create a movieclip with two frames.

In the first frame put a regular button that will be used to call down other buttons. Put this action on the button

on (release, rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

In the second frame put your layered buttons underneath your original button. Make sure these buttons are touching and there are not gaps. These buttons will do whatever you want them to do.

Behind those buttons place an invisible button (a button with only a hit state.)

Make sure that the ivisible button is bigger than the combined buttons.

On the invisible button put this script:

on (rollOut) {
    gotoAndStop(1);
    }

Basically what this does is when you rollover or click on the first button it creates a bunch of bottuns beneach it. The user can pick the buttons beneach but if they decide to roll off the buttons they will roll on the invisible button which will go back to the original button.

I hope I explained this clearly.

Chris Czerniak

I tried it works. Thanks. But I have question

Should I put a Stop Action Script on both first and the second frame of the movieclip symbol(the movieclip which has all the buttons in side)? It seems I have to do that. Waiting for your reply. Thanks again!

Originally posted by cczernia
    Here is one way to create a pulldown menu. Create a movieclip with two frames.

In the first frame put a regular button that will be used to call down other buttons. Put this action on the button

on (release, rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

In the second frame put your layered buttons underneath your original button. Make sure these buttons are touching and there are not gaps. These buttons will do whatever you want them to do.

Behind those buttons place an invisible button (a button with only a hit state.)

Make sure that the ivisible button is bigger than the combined buttons.

On the invisible button put this script:

on (rollOut) {
    gotoAndStop(1);
    }

Basically what this does is when you rollover or click on the first button it creates a bunch of bottuns beneach it. The user can pick the buttons beneach but if they decide to roll off the buttons they will roll on the invisible button which will go back to the original button.

I hope I explained this clearly.

Chris Czerniak

Whoops... yes. You have to put stop frames on both the first and second frame.

Chris Czerniak