dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loadMovie into targets, then play when both done

Making a gallery for my SWFs.
    One is long and multiscene. Its soundtrack is a separately-composed mp3 in a separate SWF.
    Gallery viewer clicks on thumbnail, goes to loadscreen. Loadscreen calls ani.swf and mus.swf into empty target MCs ('anidummy' and 'musdummy'). Loading monitored by If (getBytesLoaded() == getBytesTotal()) loop.
    Each SWF called has STOP action in first frame.
    When load loop checks 100%, we jump to frame_label 'ready' where a play button is waiting.
    Can't make the play button get the two SWFs to play. I'm dropping onRelease script onto the button telling _root.anidummy.play and _root.musdummy.play. I targetted the dummies with the script targeter set to 'absolute'. Have tested on-line with cleared cache. Also tried it with loadMovieNum and loading SWFs into levels 1 and 2 but still can't get the button to reach them.

I have been going over the posts here looking for clues. Help is greatly appreciated.

Banned
    Are you sure your movies are even loaded?
    Do you have something on the first frame to indicate this, or are they blank frames, so that you couldn't tell if they're loaded or not?
    Did you actually use ...play(); or play;?
    Did you try ...gotoAndPlay(2);

You might have to post your .fla!

oldnewbie,

Thank you for coming to my aid. I can see that the SWFs are loaded properly because their first frames have content and because the load loop puts the main timeline onto the 'ready' frame. However, you managed to nail the problem quite succinctly by noticing the lack of () after 'play'. Well done. Why would the code checker in Expert Mode (which suddenly feels like the wrong mode for me) approve 'play' when 'play()' is what was needed? I guess it is correct syntax for something else?

I work hard at studying actionscript but am always amazed at the little things that can deflate my greatest efforts. Thanks to FlashKit for the community and thanks to oldnewbie for the rescue.

KIB

Banned
    When I first started to use Expert mode in 5, I used to switch back to Normal mode, before testing the movie. And Flash wouldn't let me do that if the code contained errors... Maybe you should try that for a while!