A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: best Flash-movie size for 800 x 600 resolution?

Austrian Superstar
    which is the max size for a flash movie to be viewed with the 800 x 600 resolution without any scrollbars??

Thank You.

what I usually use is 780 X 425.

Lightbulb Older Description of Movie Sizes Explained

This was on Macromedia site at one time.
    I don't know if it still is. I haven't checked.
    I use the sizes listed here and they're pretty nice.
    I save everything worthy, so there you go.

Hope it helps!

I post it here for learning purposes only, and I found it at:

Macromedia Flash TechNotes
    Home > Products > Flash > Support > Top TechNotes

Product: Flash Platform: All Versions: 2 and above ID: 14252

What is the recommended size (height and width) to make a Flash movie?

Determining the best size to create a Flash movie
    Choosing a movie size is a decision that merits consideration. The larger the movie is displayed - when scaled to fit the browser window - the slower it will run, on any given platform. Performance is also dependent on screen resolution.

If the movie size is absolute - using specified pixel dimensions - one has more control over the frame rate. If a movie is larger than the region that will display in a browser window at 640 by 480 resolution (see below for actual pixel dimensions of available area), some users will not be able to see the whole movie at once, and will have to scroll to see the other parts. If the movie is scaled to the browser window, the movie will run considerably slower than might might be expected on large displays.

Another important factor, if scaling the movie, is the aspect ratio. The browser menus and toolbars are fixed pixel dimensions, and thus, are not proportional to the content window at different display resolutions. Choose the target display resolutions - ones that intended viewers are most likely to be using - and tailor the aspect ratio of the movie to that display resolution.

Browser Sizing
    The following sizes take into account the widths of various interface items to show available working space for an unscaled Flash movie.

Internet Explorer 4
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which may be discounted if scaling to fit, that is, add it to the widths shown below) and no horizontal scrollbar:

640x480 -- 620x318
    800x600 -- 780x438
    1024x768 -- 1004x606
    1280x1024 -- 1260x862

Netscape Navigator 3
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which will appear whether scaling or not) and no horizontal scrollbar. Netscape also imposes a mandatory 10-pixel left and top margin if no frameset is used, so that must be subtracted from the following if not using framesets:

640x480 -- 620x300
    800x600 -- 780x420
    1024x768 -- 1004x588
    1280x1024 -- 1260x844

Netscape Navigator 4.07 & 4.5
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which may be discounted if scaling to fit, that is, add it to the widths shown below) and no horizontal scrollbar):

640x480 -- 620x302
    800x600 -- 780x422
    1024x768 -- 1004x590
    1280x1024 -- 1260x846

Regardless of chosen aspect ratio, the following considerations apply: Using the full display dimensions (or aspect ratio) can be problematic. Always consider the true size of the window after the interface elements are displayed and use that size for the Flash movie.
    When scaling the movie with the ExactFit option, on some displays, the movie will be distorted (stretched horizontally or vertically). Using the Default (Show All) option, some browsers configurations may have part of the work area showing. Using the NoBorder option may cut part of the movie off, either horizontally or vertically, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie.

Keywords: movie size, scale, scaling, Modify Movie Properties, browser window, display, work area, border
    Last updated: January 27, 2000
    Author: Byron Canfield, Bentley Wolfe
    Area: Tips & Tricks

[Edited by XPmonkey on 09-16-2002 at 06:33 PM]

Austrian Superstar
    wow - thanks a lot!

yay, mine was pretty close!