A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New 2A Site XS-Engineering

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    Originally posted by lady bring
    Do you realize that some of us are confident enough to not have to swing our nuts out for the 16 year olds at flashkit?

And I know I've heard the infamous TPN vomit a diatribe about making money being the first priority. He's really the reason I have such a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to 2A. I'm sorry to see you filling a damage control roll now.

Ever heard of the "Banjo Minnow"? Probably not...

Anyway. Judge Shane for Shane please..and not because I work for 2A..or that one of my good friends is TPN. If you are mature as you claim to be, you at least owe me that.

or not...

Bottom line..i'm still a designer out there having fun. Working my butt off and trying to do the best I can do. Trying to grow as evolve with everything I do.

Shane
    http://www.pixelranger.com

Originally posted by pixelranger

Anyway. Judge Shane for Shane please..and not because I work for 2A..or that one of my good friends is TPN. If you are mature as you claim to be, you at least owe me that.

Bottom line..i'm still a designer out there having fun. Working my butt off and trying to do the best I can do. Trying to grow as evolve with everything I do.

Shane
    http://www.pixelranger.com [/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Excellent justification Shane.

Really, that's exactly it... having fun and evolving. Giving it your best and not being overly concerned about what the critics think. I say if it brings in the money then why not, because is that not truly the bottom line(in most design-firm cases)?

I, for one, think it's an excellent site, especially for being HTML only. The clean lines and neatly organized layout keep consistent with the style which 2A is known for, and that's not necessarily a bad thing by any means.

Besides, if it's going to have the 2A tag on it, don't you think it should at least look somewhat like it was designed by them?

Congrats on your first successful mission. I look forward to the next.

- Tyson

Originally posted by tyson.t

I, for one, think it's an excellent site, especially for being HTML only.

- Tyson
    You must be viewing it on something other than IE or from a MAC. Its Half Flash..Half HTML.

Since I am using LiveConnect to have the movies talk back and forth I have to dish up different versions of the site depending upon what you have. Sounds to me like you might be one of those "Mac" guys.

Shane

Originally posted by tyson.t

I, for one, think it's an excellent site, especially for being HTML only.

- Tyson
    You must be viewing it on something other than IE or from a MAC. Its Half Flash..Half HTML.

Since I am using LiveConnect to have the movies talk back and forth I have to dish up different versions of the site depending upon what you have. Sounds to me like you might be one of those "Mac" guys.

Shane

I thought something was up, especially when I heard talk of a mouseover on the logo.

Actually, I'm using Netscape 7 on my PC. I'm not a huge Mac fan.

I just checked it in I.E. 6 and yes, incredible job.

Mind if I ask you approximately how long it took from start to finish?

It definitely has some of that 2A flavour, but it's not overwhelming. A definitey well-balanced compositon.

Again, congrats...

- Tyson

ah yes...Netscape 7. We have been modifying the code for that new bad boy but launched compatible with everything else..so for now. 7 will just get the HTML side.

Shane

The clients love it. Their clients love it so..it does it's job.
    thats the only thing that count when designing for clients anyway in my opinion

My only wish is that they would have stuck with my recommended color of Red....it was FREAKING HOT.
    did you seriously think that they would choose another color than blue ?? LOL... clients are only interested in BLUE corp sites... (xcept for a few who happen to be colorblind!)

i think the 'hater' thing here is all about coolness, syure the site is fine, but it doesnt at all deserve a thread in the COOl sites, its a good corp site, nothing more, nothing less...
    yes, well made, dut i dont know of much people who would consider a corp. site as being cool...

I like it ....
    Those cars rocks !!!! ;-)

the sound ... i like it ... even when the cars breaks ;-) ..

nice nice ...
    keep it up ..

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    The site is punchy and tight, and has a high tech feel synonymous with the product. If I was a gearhead, I would dig this site. (I'm a reformed gearhead, cured).

One thing made me chuckle, and is in no way meant seriously or as an insult. When the bit at the top right has one of the cars fade in & out from different angles, I thought of the actionscript tutorial that comes with MX, only this one is a million times better, and very different. And I thought to myself "they're gonna take some grief for that at Flashkit". :lol I'm gonna gamble that PR never even opened the tutes. Funny stuff though.

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    Btw, when some of you anti-2A folks go to the store to buy the new flavor of Campbell soup, do you stamp your feet right there in the aisle, hold up the can, and yell "Look people, they say it's a new flavor, but I can still tell it's from Campbell's! Those bastads!" Then you go off to the healthfood aisle and buy some snooty soup, and maybe snort some carrot juice, who knows. <sarcasm off>

There's a marketing lesson in there somewhere, about branding.

Originally posted by SSC Cosmic
    Btw, when some of you anti-2A folks go to the store to buy the new flavor of Campbell soup, do you stamp your feet right there in the aisle, hold up the can, and yell "Look people, they say it's a new flavor, but I can still tell it's from Campbell's! Those bastads!" Then you go off to the healthfood aisle and buy some snooty soup, and maybe snort some carrot juice, who knows. <sarcasm off>

wrong example...

12-14-16 different soups, that taste all the same... all of em... how about that ?

btw, im no 2a hater or whatever you want to call them...

1- some will say that all campbell soups taste the same
    2- some will say that campbell soups taste bad only because its campbell
    3- some will say that all campbell soups taste good, only because its campbell
    4- a few, 'very few' will make the difference between each soup...

10$ that at Campbell (or the corp that makes Campbell soups) they are pretty much aware of that... and learned how to deal with it (meaning they dont jump on every one that say : your soup sux man!)...

thats lesson #2 about branding...

again, that example...

Originally posted by SSC Cosmic

but 2advanced aren't supposed to be a brand, they work for different companies that have their own brands. Imagine if the designers who made the campbells soup tin made tins for other food manufacturers witht he same design on them, then people would have a valid complaint against the design company.

I don't think this applies to 2advanced though, since to me their sites are more a style than a brand, each one stands on its own merits and the clients obviously push for this style whether it's the best thign for their brand or not. Just pointing out that your example is a little misleading.

ah yes...Netscape 7. We have been modifying the code for that new bad boy but launched compatible with everything else..so for now. 7 will just get the HTML side.
    If you're doing all this fancy Flash stuff (sometimes with XML I'm sure) how come you don't make the documents all XHTML Transitional?

Nice drop downs and borders around the table content. (Not to sure all those interesting meta data things in the <head> each time will be picked up in that manner...)

hey shane ur site kicks ass i think this is better than all the other sites u have done b4,.....how many frames per second do u do ur sites at and how the hell are ur sites so smoothly animated.... thx

Enter the Flash Dragon Prototype3X's Avatar
    What can you say... its 2A!

Swedish
    I like it! Don't think that it's so very 2A.. just the mouseOvers.. and some colors.

Add to the pile

Well, I think that you've received enough compliments for this site, Pixelranger, but what the heck...

Nice going man! Sweet site. The design and colors are superb. I bet red would have been pretty HOT. You definitely pulled off the 3d depth you were trying to achieve with the navigation as well as the top banner.

Keep up the good work.
    Andrew

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    Well, I have to admit that this site is better and is more 2A then some of real 2A sites.

Nice use of graphics and JavaScript.

Well done.

the html and flash came together nicely, esp you html bitmap work. The menu is also smoothly done and not too many bg animations to bog things done. cool font too. only thing that bothered me were the cars in the upper right. For some reason the bright red one especially reminded me more of banner ads than a slick corporation.

but then again its all about advertising and bringing in the bucks.

oh well, a designer can't have it all in the corporate world.

cool stuff nevertheless

I'd offer constructive criticism, but you haven't taken too nicely to that in the past, so instead I'll just say:

"nice site"

great work, I'm curious how that red version would've looked...