dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xiaoxiao attempt

Hybrid View

ok here is my first movie in swift

http://anony.co.uk/chef/beta1.swf

125kb and no preloader, sorry be patient.

its an attempt at doing the whole xiao xiao shooter thing, can anyone give me any tips on using the cameras to animate? would it be better to use a target or a free camera, the link above is using the target camera, is it possible to use a combination of both without tacking movies together

thanks

[m]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I tend to use a targeted camera because it gives you the most flexablity when it comes to animating it. Im sure others may disagree but it comes down to what you like working with. I just think you can get a more fluid effect with a targeted camera. just my two cents. Regards, Bill

Nice work with the set so far Keep it up!!

thanks for your advice and encouragement, is it possible to animate a targetted camera along the y axis? eg to animate someones sight when they are jumping or ducking

thanks

[m]

scrap that comment, silly me :$

I agree with Bill that it's usually easier to animate a Targeted Camera, but for this kind of animation I prefer to use a Free Camera. This is simply because I find it easier to deal with one object instead of two...with the Targeted Camera you have both the camera and the target point to worry about. With a Free Camera you can select it and move it with the arrow keys without having to concern myself with accidentally selecting any other objects. You also don't have to constantly keep moving the target point around.

When I am animating a camera through a city or something similar, I will generally select the camera then toggle on the camera pan mode button that doesn't let you select any objects, while working in the top viewport. This way I can drag the view around without worrying about selecting other objects and I can move the camera around with the arrow keys and the Object Trackball.

A couple of things to remember that might help out is that you can show your camera path by going to the Layout page on the Properties Toolbar and check the box next to Paths. Also under the Layout page, you can increase the amount of Keyboard Nudge if you are moving large distances.

This is just one suggestion, play around with it and see what works for you.

try rendering with quality set to low and curve fitting set to lines since most of the output is straight lines. also set your layout width/height to half (or less) the size you want your movie to be. then import the movie into a movie clip and scale it to the right size. both these optiona can reduce the size of your output considerably

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Just a note on why I use targeted cameras. Simple because they work from the same model you were desgined with. Your eyes can move independent of your head and body. So does a targeted camera. Its much easier to target objects and keep track of where the camera is looking in my opinion than to deal with a free camera. Plus free cameras in swift 3D can get gooffy on you in a heartbeat.

Free cameras I only use for stationary shots or to attach to a fixed point on an object. and then the object would be animated.

But at least you know the two diffrent ways you can basicly use your cameras. And it is all up to you. Its what style and your process that matters.

Now when you get into producton work its a whole diffrent story. everything has to be done by a set process since others will be working on a project. but this is swift 3D not rocket science have fun, make 3D! Regards, Bill

wouldn't it be great if you could click on a camera then shift click on an object and group them so that the camera always followed the object and inherited it's rotation.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Well I cried for that twice now during beta but to no avail

you gotta get down on the floor and start kicking your legs and spinning!

ok if bill and blink are finished hijacking my thread id like to continue :P

http://anony.co.uk/chef/fps.html is my second cut, what do you think? worthy of continuing with?

how much do you think it could be cut, filesize wise, with optimaze?

thanks
    [m]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I think you need to slow it down just a bit. The camera is flying through the space to fast. I would continue, looks good to me. If you have optimaze then I would try it and see. I should cut back about 25 percent of the file size before you see any loss in the movie quality.

Keep it up I want to see you finish this project

Sorry about the Hijacking, but we all have to divert sometimes

mbenney ~

I was able to get your file down to 74k without losing too much image quality by running it through Optimaze!.

Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    I think you need to slow it down just a bit. The camera is flying through the space to fast. I would continue, looks good to me. If you have optimaze then I would try it and see. I should cut back about 25 percent of the file size before you see any loss in the movie quality.

Keep it up I want to see you finish this project

Sorry about the Hijacking, but we all have to divert sometimes
    should i decrease the frame rate or increase the amount of frames used? i dont have optimaze im considering it though

thanks for the tip rush

could someone optimaze this file for me pleeeeaaaseee, so i can continue, i will buy it one day...

http://anony.co.uk/chef/beta3.swf

many thanks (will be uploaded in a few minutes)

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I would increase the amount of frames and the frame rate. I tend to use 18 - 24 fps. and your going to have to get a feel for what is the right amount of frames for a natural movement.

Decreasing the frame rate will only make it choppy. Same thing if you decrease the amount of frames the tween takes place in.

Remember you can allways select the frames you want to keep in your animation in the preview area of Swift. so you dont have to keep unwated frames... Just a sugestion. Regards, Bill

will anyone do it for me?

Looks like you beat me to it BlinkOk, but I already had it uploaded to my server so here it is. This one trimmed down to 149k.

Optimized file

How did you get to export as outline? Are you using V.2?
    Very nice peice of work.