A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] usign a variable (or string) to load external jpgs and getURL JS calls?

here is what i would like to do.

have a txt file where i will list names of images stored on my server. load that list into flash.. wait.. this is already sounding like an array. (something i know NOTHING about.)

ok so anyway here is what i think i need.

- on the server.. an thumbnail and full image. imageNameThumb.jpg and imageame.jpg

- list of imageNames. in txt format.

- row of movie clips to hold loaded jpg files. i guess i can duplicate MCs according to the number of imageNames there are in the txt file and give them instance names of 1 through whatever.

- onClipEvent on these MCs would be something like..

onClipEvent(load){
    loadMovieNum("images/"+imageName+"thumb.jpg" , this.thumbHolder);
    }

on(press){
    getURL(javascriptopUp('"images/"+imageName+"jpg"' , imageName);
    }

i dont think this is the correct syntax here but hopefully you get the idea.

any clues to get me started?

thanks.

keith.

give a look at this, I think this is about what you want to achieve...
    there are a couple features more:
    - the whole system is capable of supporting a large amount of images (there are 101 for now);
    - there is a built in search engine to look for your favourite images, amongst the 101 that now are there;
    - only 24 thumbnails are available at a time (for low-bandwidth compatibility);
    - there are transitions between photos viewed;

ok...this ain't perfect, it's filled with little bugs, that are actually really easy to fix (but I haven't the time to do it now). I know it's a pain in the a_s to have to dig into somebody else's work, but I tell you this could be a good kickstart...I had a big turnover when I finally got to learn how to use arrays, I tell you!

this is the link to the application:
    http://patmos.key-one.it/
    (you must click on search to start navigating the image collection, I hope you will understand how to use the site quickly...I know the design is no good, actually no one realizes that there is a search engine there...)

if you want the source file just drop a line with your e-mail...
    and if you have any questions...just ask!
    Cheers!

looks like it might be what i can use...

let me peep the fla.

corcoran999@comcast.net

i will tweak it some to only show 5 at a time and clicking one will popup a new window instead of viewing it in the flash movie. also dont need the search but it is cool.

thanks

keith.

flashkit
    hello kcorcoran,

that sound very interessting, can you mail me the source also, so i can learn from it

thx,

info@avdesign.be
    jayr