dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site check please!

Well, to be honest, I am a little worried about posting my site in here. There are extremely talented people among us and I don't think I am half as good as most of them. I have seen some very amazing sites within these forum walls.

Enough jibber jabber... I throw myself to the wolves...

http://www.freelow.net

p.s. My intro movie sucks... beyond that, what do you think?

Freelow

Hey dude

Had a look around your site and its pretty nice. The navigation is a cool idea (i once tried a similar thing with a mixing desk but woz rubbish) only problem is it can be annoying having to mouseover things to find out what they are. The amp head is cool tho i like that a lot.

Gazz

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about adding words above the knobs, but can't decide if I want to clutter up the cleanliness of the amp head.

Point well taken though. I'm glad you took a look for me.

Take care,

Gtrtim112

Looks good so far.

I like the site. It loaded relatively quickly on my 56k, although the music took a looong time to load...I finally left the site without hearing it.

As far as the mouse-over links on the home page... I have the same problem. People complain about having to search for the content, and it is understandable. Most people do not want to commit to memory the location of each section in your interface.

My site has a similar type interface. I have quite a few buttons (14!) and even I lose track of what is where...lol
    At the same time, I like the aesthetics of my home page and every attempt at labelling the buttons clutters it up and looks horrible.

I guess the bottom line is: Think before you design... and you can't please everyone.

I think that you will find that the people in these forums, being web designers, will be a bit more critical that the lay public... but it is still wise to listen to their input, then judge for yourself.

Some tips to consider: you might want to add a percentage preloader or some indication of the music file sizes. This will give dial-up viewers an indication of how long they will need to wait, so they can decide if they want to wait.

Also, it may just have been my crappy system, but the music in the intro was very snap, crackle, poppy. You might want to add a volume control to the beginning of your site so people can tweak the sounds to their liking... or not..lol.

Anyway, nice job. I hope it is a success for you and your friends.

Robert

Thanks for the suggestions...

I added a progress bar/percentage counter to the intro page and a percentage counter to the "amp on" button. I am assuming that is the file that took so long for you to download. I guess the problem with it taking so long is that it is a complete song, rather than a snippet or loop.

One question... do you think it is better to import sounds as MP3 at a low bitrate (or whatever preferance bitrate), or as WAV files and let Swish do the compressing for you?

I have pondered on that and can't figure it out. There are so many cool sites here with great sound quality and hardly no wait. Of course, I run on DSL, so most sites don't take long anyhow.

I have also contemplated the idea of adding the words to the knobs for navigational purposes, but like you, I think it clutters it up too much. Personally, I would rather go with a whole new design if I was going to do that (which I might just do... it's just hard to change completely when I spent hours on end building that amp head)

Any help on the music file question would be greatly appreciated.

Take care... good luck with your venture as well. I think your site is great.

Gtrtim112

Re: Thanks for the suggestions...

Originally posted by Gtrtim112
    One question... do you think it is better to import sounds as MP3 at a low bitrate (or whatever preferance bitrate), or as WAV files and let Swish do the compressing for you?

To be honest, I don't know as much about sounds as I should. I have read quite a few posts on the subject and this is what I have learned:

MP3 vs WAV: Try both and see which has the smaller file size. Or look into streaming audio.

When using MP3, check the box marked "Always use Lame MP3 encoder" and it should trim a bit off file sizes.

Most people surf the web listening to tunes, TV or talking with others. It is "polite" web design to let the viewer know sound will follow, or allow them the option of turning sound on/off.

This last is just my personal opinion. When I visit a site that has loud music competing with the music I was listening to, it just annoys me. I usually look for the "sound off" button immediately.

As your site is devoted to your music, I assume you would like people to listen to your songs. Give them the option to do so at their discretion and at a volume of their choice. In the end I think they will appreciate it.

You should do an advanced search here at flashkit (not just in the Swish help forum) for threads dealing with WAV, MP3 and streaming audio.

Robert

Looks great I like the amp graphic DID YOU MAKE IT or DL it somewhere?

Man please use MP3 those get way smaller if you work it out
    I had a 2MB wav file I made it into a mp3 and now its only 300k so those work way better for songs.

A small button sound effect can load as a wav but use mp3 for the bigger stuff.

Plus! I wouldn't use frames those are bad news for search engines and some peeps on older boxes won't see them right.

Just let the nice amp scroll up and put a BACK TO TOP button on the long pages hehehe.

You should loose the mystery navigation though
    people want to feel at home on a site they know where the rooms are and can flow throught them. Hey here is an idea for you . . .

Leave the amp like it is BUT put some small text navagation below it so you have both this is good to do on any page
    I'm sure you have seen it before.

Here is one I am working on
    http://www.dgdesignstudio.com/tim/timtest.htm

p.s. You might want to make a looped chorus for your music so it loads 100 times faster.

ONESHOT

Thanks!

I have decided to dump the amp for my navigation. I am currently working on a new site design. I will still be using frames though. I like having my navigation at the top at all times like that. If I were smart enough, I would use CSS and have a basic template for the site, with all the other pages falling into place as need be... kind of like my message forum (I just followed instructions on it)

I got the amp header image from myself. I simply took a picture of my Mesa Boogie head and took all the Mesa logo stuff off and added my own. It's a pretty cool idea, but like you said.. the navigation just isn't up to par. I tried adding the words as well. It cluttered it up too much for me.

As far as the sound goes, I have replaced that complete song with a loop (on the new design). It should load much quicker. No one has ever really said what loads faster with Swish... MP3 or WAV. Swish does a great job at compressing the WAV's for you. It's pretty much up to preferance... trial and error.

Your site is coming along great. I'll save it as a favorite and see how you progress.

Thanks for the feedback (sorry for the long post... he he)

Take care,

Gtrtim112

if you read my last you will see my answer to WAV vs MP3

One out

MP3 vs WAV

I don't think you understand what I am saying...

When you load a WAV file into Swish, it automatically compresses it, making it quick to download. It's no different than taking a WAV file and converting it into an MP3, beforehand. If I weren't going out of town in about an hour, I would make you a demonstration.

Search around the forums and you will see what I am talking about.

Or, try this link... this is a great site for getting Swish help.

http://www.swish-tutorials.com

Take care,

Gtrtim112

what I am saying is I think my white Tiger mp3 coder makes smaller mp3 than swish does as a matter of fact I use FlashMX to make data.swf of souds it smashes Wavs btter than swish too.