A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d shooter discussion

ok those of you who frequent the swift 3d forum will know ive been modeling some scenes for a 3d shooter similar to the xiaoxiao shooter that i know you will all be familiar with! (baukereg posted it a few days ago)

im a while till i get to the stage of adding interactivity but i just wanted to discuss how different people would go about it, i have my own action plan but theres probably better ways. im interested in your thoughts about...
    -ordering enemy popup
    -enemy movement
    -hit detection

and anything i may have ommited

thanks

[m]

ok ive got something to show for myself...

http://anony.co.uk/chef/beta3.swf

hope this inspires you all

[m]

ok i seem to be having a conversation with myself here but anywho does anyone know where i can find some example enemy animations? im gonna do all my own gfx but i need to study some examples to make it look realistic, time crisis style. thanks in advance! i think!

looking good so far! Someone could realistically even take that swf and make a shooter from that. Just need to set pause points and get the enemies to 'pop up'. If i was doing it, i'd render some hiding animation sequences for each pause point too, that way, it would be like Time Crisis. By pressing Space bar (or releasing) you could hide behind an obstacle.

As for enemy reactions, examples would have to come from what's been done before i suppose. Xiao xiao took some great stereotypical ones. If you've played Virtua Cop you'll notice a lot of the death animations are done in the style of the old westerns (broken balcony, body tumbles over, spin backwards...). If you wanted to make it funny you could even put a mattress at the bottom and when they hit it, they get up and run behind the screen. But i digress...

good luck with it

thanks for replying kd, im not much of an animator, this is my first 3d animation im just doing it on the fly! does anyone have a link to that alien vs fbi kind of game done by the inhouse designers at newgrounds? id love to attempt fbi enemies in that style

[m]

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    when you said "similar" to the xiaoxiao shooter, I didnt think you were going THAT similar

imitation is the highest form of flattery i dont see how it differs to me making a mario clone

you've got the 3d talent to really do something different though! I just had a look at that demo you did with those swiftv3 (where the hell did you get that???!) and i was bloody impressed. This coming from someone who has worked with his share of 3d... You modelled the whole thing in, of all things, Swift?! Kudos to you!

What's this Alien v/s Fbi thing? you got a link?

what demo? i only have v2

also i will be having a few stages, notice at the end you go through the door into the building, coming to a screen near you

the fbi thing is a really cool game done by the inhouse guys at newgrounds, im looking for the link... anyone can help?

[m]

I'm terribly sorry - I mistook BlinkOK's demo for yours!

i do feel with what you've shown so far you could make something significantly different to Xiao Xiao's shooter. But I can see you're already adding a few great ideas of your own

http://anony.co.uk/chef/1.html

cant find that damn link

but heres a quick sketch i threw together, its a bit crap but you get the idea...

[m]
    [Edited by mbenney on 09-19-2002 at 07:23 PM]

Here you go: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=59593

love that game

Olorin

iammarios hacks make the game even better...(alien hominoid that is)

Originally posted by dirtymonkey
    iammarios hacks make the game even better...(alien hominoid that is)
    excuse me?

here is an idea i had for your game. when your creating the animation you should move through the scene to a point then pan from -30 to 30 degrees, then on to the next point and so on. then using actionscript you can control the pan so it is tied to the mouse. here's an example;
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/xx1.html (266k no preloader)
    sorry it's so big and the rendering is pretty cruddy but i think you get the picture.
    if you would like the code i can post it. it's only about 30 lines.
    BlinkOk

its a nice idea, but how would i make the enemies stay in time with the animations with it always moving ?

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Originally posted by mbenney
    its a nice idea, but how would i make the enemies stay in time with the animations with it always moving ?
    I think he meant that the enemies appears when the animation stops ... that's why there are two stops that allow you to pan ( and then you put the code with the ennemies and the shootgun .. )

but you obviously shoot during the pan mode, right? and pan mode is an animation (multiple frames) so im confused as to how to have one enemy over multiple frames

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Originally posted by mbenney
    but you obviously shoot during the pan mode, right? and pan mode is an animation (multiple frames) so im confused as to how to have one enemy over multiple frames

Well, what i was meaning is that the background animation, even during the panning can stay in the background ... you can have you sprite over it, with the same code that take care of their position if you move the mouse, so that they will stay at their place, even if you move the background ... of course respecting their 3 dimensional aspect is another story ...but you still can cheat a bit using flat 2D sprites ... moving them following the panning state will give the 3D illusion ...

another thing is that the panning is not to wide, and the sprites do not have to much depth, so that the lake of 3D in the sprites will be barely noticable ...