A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: newbie design question

okay, go to:

http://www.xs-engineering.com/

now, I'm only interested in knowing one little thing...

those cool, 3d-looking boxes that are holding content (welcome to xs engineering)...

how do you make that subtle 3d look? where's a photoshop tut or something that shows you how to bevel, or gradient, or drop shadow, or some combination to make that look?

thanks,
    -L

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    ps 5.0 or higher

right click on the layer(ctrl+click on mac i think) where u want to apply it, and layer effects/blending options, blevel and emboss

I know where bevel and emboss are, what I meant to ask is how to set up the layers and stuff and which ones to bevel to get that look. Surely there's a tutorial on how to make that kind of effect? It's pretty common, I just can't figure it out...none of mine look quite right.

thanks,
    -L

Originally posted by GroovePapa
    I know where bevel and emboss are, what I meant to ask is how to set up the layers and stuff and which ones to bevel to get that look. Surely there's a tutorial on how to make that kind of effect? It's pretty common, I just can't figure it out...none of mine look quite right.

thanks,
    -L
    Lets face it, photoshop filters don't know what you want, they are only there to help, you should always touch up by hand after filtering to get the exact effect you're after.
    In any case, that bevel edge can be easily achieved with no filters at all, just using the airbrush tool.