dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how would i do this?

hey anyone

what i want to do is create a map of the world (easy enough with the pen tool), i then want to take that map and bend it around a globe, how can i do this in? and in what program - illustrator? or would i need a 3d program?

thanks

richard

Swedish
    First of all use Photoshop.

Second, draw your map.. how you do that i up to you..

then ad Filter/distort/polarize.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    you can also google image search for world map, and then apply in a sphere in a 3d prog. Much easier. also, if you want i already have some world maps, i can send you (continents outline, texture and atmospheric).

cheers

Thanks guys!

Herr_dada, yea id love some world maps, my email is stonecold@quicksilver.net.nz .

one thing - what exactly do u mean by "apply in a sphere", i know a little bit of 3d max, i assume i import my map and then do this apply in sphere your talking about, can u elborate on this?

Thanks

Richard

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    ok, while i search for the images to mail you, i'll try to explain how this 3d thingy works... ok, you have a object (a sphere in this case...). Every object, can have a material, so when you apply the material you can specify a bitmap to be a texture, and in some 3d programs you can even set other bitmaps to serve as alpha channels, reflection, bump, etc... but it is better if you check some tuts about the program you want to use, or put this question in the 3d forum. good work!

I put this together quickly in Flash this morning. I see no reason to resort to a 3d program, when it can be done so easily in Flash. The zip file is the fla source file, so you can see how it's done. I didn't add a preloader, so you'll have to wait for it to show up....the swf is 38k.

http://www.tco.net/~phacker/globe.html

I put together another sample file, with the globe revolving around text this time. Zip is a little larger this time due to a topographical map. Someone in one of the forums wanted a transparent globe..so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

http://www.tco.net/~phacker/globe3.html

I am having a bad day...could someone at least post a thank you for the effort I put in to this--I realize I am a vector geek and avoid 3d at all costs (although I can model with the best of them...if I have to). I just prefer the scalability of vector. Hope some of you have found my files useful. Vector just takes a different way of looking at things.

Thanks for being so supportive guys, maybe that's why I don't stop by very often anymore. Hope you enjoyed the downloads.