dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Interesting splash screen

gskinner.com
    Just interested in hearing people's opinions of my holding screen.

http://gskinner.com/

Wanted to do something a little bit more moody and artistic than my past work.

Features a fairly robust lightening engine that randomly queues lightning strikes, including intensity (ie. distance) and direction - it then times the thunder, and shifts the direction and volume of the sound based on the characteristics of the lightening flash (ex. if it is far away, the thunder is quieter, and has a longer delay).

Cheers,
    ZE.

wauw, i like it alot. Indeed very 'moody'

Good work

Very nice!
    If I could just say one thing:
    For an even more realistic overview, maybe making the raindrops "outside the window" a little more invisible and smaller, and not so "drop-shaped"

JAyzEE
    Very Kooooool

gskinner.com
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

torh44:
    It's a trade off between people with poor quality monitors (who can barely see the rain drops as is), and people like us with good quality monitors to whom the raindrops are maybe a little too obvious and fake looking. Thanks for the comment though.

Cheers,
    ZE.

150K for a holding screen! might be a bit big for us 56ker's

its good and all maybe a tad big for a Coming soon page!

i like that alot, it's very creative.. you should make the rain become heavier and then settle down like in real life..

AWSOME! i love it.......I would have loved to see the a ligtning bolt or two in the reflection...

nicely done!

gskinner.com
    Thanks again. It's funny how the feedback has almost exactly mirrored my own thoughts.

I realize it is fairly large @ 150k - I typically design very small... for instance, my FlashOS site [ http://www.zeroera.com/ ] is only ~65k preload. But there is no way to make it smaller and retain the same visual and auditory impact.

I've been considering writing an algorithm to make the rain volume use a randomized sine wave to make it more realistic (one of those things I will do when I have some more time to kill).

I thought of adding lightning bolt reflections, but decided against it. Adding them would increase file size further, and I think it might just be "clutter" - it is more subtle as is.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Unfortunately, the site that will be going up will be a little on the utilitarian side (as it will be built in FlashOS2.0), but I would like to have some artistic pieces like this in it.

Cheers,
    GSkinner.