dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hacking games

What do you recommend for shreding .SWF's to peices? There's some stuff out there I wouldn't mind having a look at, for educational purposes, of course.

Originally posted by Ed Mack
    The thing is, if the user views it, then it's downloaded to their cache where it is easy for them to pick out.

The user can get your swf, otherwise they couldn't play the game. If they get the swf, they can get your AS. If they can get your AS, they can hack the system by mimicing the flash client.
    Is there no possible way then Ed Mack?

gskinner.com
    none.

You can make it more difficult by obsfucating your code. I read awhile back that someone was working on an obsfucator for Flash... has anyone heard anything about that lately?

Cheers,
    ZE.

As stated before, it's easy to steal, but it doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Here are some web designer tricks.

It's very, very easy to crack a SWF. Want to know how? Try googling it in a forum, and you can download the program on Kazaa (not suggesting, just informing. stealing is wrong, WRONG!). It is a little harder if you set a password when you export(you can't go in and change a couple numerals and convert it to a FLA). I had to do this on more than one occasion because I am an airhead and I keep deleting my flas <insert stupid emoticon>

You can take several precautions....

First, thwart the casual thief with by disabling their right mouse click with javascript.

I would recommend a windows server for several reasons, if your administrator does it right no one can just type in your folder extension and access your swfs and fla...like this..

http://popularmoderatorwithsitespeci...SOtiles/flash/

(sorry, it's not the real one this is how i discovered it and downloaded all his example flas, but i don't want to piss him off)

Another thought that you could try, but it would be difficult is to have a windows server and park all your pixels in the database DNS section and then load them externally to an empty swf...this would be more complicated because you would need your DNS path (not impossible).

OF course, with a linux server, you could also park all your external swfs in a ssl shell and call it to an empty SWF, too. The ssl shell would prevent people from typing in your url with the folder extension.

Then, you can use PHP/ASP to obscure where the source SWF is located: i.e. embed it in an html document with the right code (it scrambles it so it looks like gibberish, but is still OK), but place the SWF in another folder with a funny name...if you know how to generate pages dynamically, then you are in an even better position.

You can also use actionscript to stop anyone from deeplinking to your game. Instead of your game, it will show any kind of message you want. Check out chapter 17 of Gary Rosenzweig's EXCELLENT Macromedia Flash Actionscript For Fun And Games (I can also post the code).

Viel Gluck Und SpaB
    -Kevin

Good post! I think this may just lead to someone thinking it would be good fun to try to hack it, so it may be a way that could work against me

Oh well we'll see but thanks to eveyone for there insight! I believe there is a way using _url to make your game run only on your own website, I know this won't protect the code! Does anyone know of a fla anywhere that would point out how this works?

Gary

Is "stealing", as you put it, wrong for my purpose? I woudln't reuse any graphics (unless they were already rips -zelda, etc.). I would look at it just to see how thet did it. That's my favorite thing to with anything, whether it be a computer, or a toaster, or a palm pilot (remember the smashing incident?). I wouldn't reuse that game or publish it.

Is that wrong? Just looking at the source code to learn?

I think the person meant stealing the swf cracking program was wrong.

Well, do you know of anything that can serve my purpose?

Surely it's more right to allow people to look at the code that you want them to see and thus open source. If you were to use a game project to make money, you would like to minimise the ammount of competitive games makers as to make a bigger profit. If people can view your source you would have more competition as more people could start making similar games using modified versions of your code. I'm sure that if you were to put alot of effort into making a game you wouldn't mind if people were using your code to learn in a way that was uncompetitive to yourself but this doesn't occur very often and people simply take it!

Surley if you were to make something it is your property and coding is also and if you don't want people to see how it works then it's your right to not allow them too! It's the same with anything.

Say you invented a great new meens of transport and I intercepted an email which you sent to someone giving details of it, then I went and sold the ideas to other people and got the patent on it, would you be happy?

Gary

I'm thirteen. Do you think I will be going into a competitive business soon?

No.

But I see where your coming from. But I am a good, honest person. Atleast I like to think so. I would never rip anyone's game, because honestly, they all stink

So, any thing that will help me?

1. I didn't know that you were 13.
    2. Why are you so interested in viewing my source, when currently nobody has a clue what my game is going to be about or like??? Apart from Squize who's sworn to secrecy

Gary

Well, it's not just your game I'd like to check out. There are many good games out therer that I would like to learn from.

the way i see it is anyone that needs to steal someones AS or whatever has to be an idiot. if they're an idiot, chances are they won't understand your AS anyway.

Well, that was harsh. Have yu even read a thing I've said? And I dont know if your title is correct, so please don't blame me for being nieve, but that coming from a senior member doesnt seem right....

I said I wasn't using it. Just to look at it, study it, learn from it.

I don't believe I'm stupid. And I think perhaps that comment needs editing.

Would you be here without the open source?

For the php thing, you don't need a server to edit it. Just download then open with Notepad. So that wouldn't work too well.

Originally posted by Da-Spit
    For the php thing, you don't need a server to edit it. Just download then open with Notepad. So that wouldn't work too well.
    PHP runs on the server. You can't download it like that.

Runes_tooth, your footer's down

It's not my fault nerdles is too lazy to fix his server.

Slacker Extraordinaire
    Here's a link about the genable actionscript obfuscator. You might want to check it out.
    It's not the answer, but it might help

They had a lengthy INFORMATIVE debate about the program and how easily others can view your code over at FlashGuru.

the article and debate
    http://www.flashguru.co.uk/000123.php

the program - it's freeware so you might as well check it out

http://www.genable.com/aso/

-they had a contest to see who could crack their SWF
    (but there's a big argument about it at flashguru)