Thread: sending an if statement back to flash

Owned By Code
    Here is the code I'm using so far:

(it's PHP)
    Code:
    function privateMessages()
    {
    //call the query to check for messages based on the username
    $query = "SELECT sentBy FROM forumPrivate WHERE newMessage = 0 AND sentTo = '$userdetails[0]'";

if(!mysql_query($query)) {
        fail("embeding new features... Please stand by..");
    }

if ($result && @mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)
    {
    // Output the status back to Flash
        print "&private=yes";
    }
    }
    so what I'm seeing is if there are any messages with a flag of 0, and if so send the var to flash...

Well i can't get flah to pick it up... it's getting so fustrating... I'm not sure what's up... I have everything working in Flash because if I do a name.swf?private=yes it works...

Thanks for the help

Hmm, how are you calling this function? I'm an ASP guy, but I have lots of experience getting variables and status reports from a database, as that's what my chat program on our website is all about.

are you using LoadVariables?

If so, you may have a Cache problem, and you should send a random number variable along with your traditional variables to your file

cheers,

chris
    http://www.opacitydesigngroup.com

Owned By Code
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for the quick note...

Basically what I'm doing is setting up a function that gets called each time a new script is called (it's with one of my included PHP scripts) so the scripts that are called using loadVaribles are all called with a random number.

I have a loop in my flash movie that check it every 24 seconds. by doing a _root.private = "yes" blah blah

I think I'm just going to have to write out a checker script.. this is too much of a nightmare!

Thanks for your help though!

Cheers,

Scott