A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super crossover fighter, test

i just posted a more advanced version of my fighting game here:
    http://www.marmotte.levillage.org/ga...r_fighter.html

ok sorry, it's not the version with the opponent's AI... and there are not all the moves and combo moves for the main character either... before that, i want some feedback; is the playability good enough at the moment? what do you suggest, improvements etc...?

also, don't look at the graphics or transition screens, it's not a final version...

i added a scrolling, can you tell me if it's too slow? (i have to optimize it though)

keys:
    arrow keys = move
    1 = Medium Punch (MP)
    2 = Strong Punch (SP)
    3 = Medium Kick (MK)
    4 = Strong Kick (SK)

some combos:
    MP, MP, MP, MP
    MP, MK
    MP, MP, MP, MK
    down+ MK, MK
    down, forward, MP
    down, forward, SP
    (more to come shortly)

the game will "freeze" at the end of the round, it's normal, i just focused on the playability and not the game itself...

before having more characters, i really want a working playability, a working general game...
    right now, i'm working on the AI (seems good), and some other things, like protection when attacked... it takes some time.

anyway, please play with it if you want and don't hesitate to report weird things.

thanks ^^

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    hi marmotte great graphics and smooth scrolling on my p3 600mhz lap top

i notice that you have character 1 on screen and after 3 or 4 seconds the second character appears i am on dsl anyway some people may wait a little longer

perhaps you should have a loading screen until both character are on the stage

oh hey ho
    i just updated my mickey pang
    http://digilander.libero.it/magneto1/pang04.swf
    not as good as yours stuff but i ll get there

amazing stuff marmotte, fantastic graphics, smooth gameplay even on my crappy 440Mhz. i am really floored! gobsmacked! and...well...speachless!!!!

yes, but these are cosmetic changes ^^ now i'm just working the playability...
    i'm glad to hear the scrolling is smooth...

i'm still waiting for a complete mickey-pang game ^^

thanks blinkOK, i'm working a lot on it.
    it seems the scrolling is smooth even on your crappy comp, and that's great. i'll try to put the animated background (more impressive than the current background ^^) to see the scrolling speed, but it was ok with me.

glad to hear my game is good ^^

That game is coming out really good. I couldnt get the combos to work right.... must have been doing them wrong. Your game was fun to magnetos, i need to practice a little more... Its hard.

grahpic are perfect on my 1.2ghz 80gb hard drive

probably most people wont notice - but with my pickiness i saw that the xscale of the shadow never changes

probably not hard to fix(unless its built in the sprites) and wont make much of a difference but i would like to see that done

Hey Marmotte,

Looking good, a few minor things though:

1.When you "push" your opponent off of the screen, she goes just a bit too far, you can't see her anymore if you push her all the way to the right...The screen should scroll a bit more...do you know what I mean?

2.I know you had a hard time scripting the combo-system, but I hate to say that it could still do with some improvement...right now if you would want to do for instance a Hadoken you really have to hit the key like your typing: down....right......punch....
    If you hit them really quick: down, right, punch it doesn't work (maybe because of framerate?)...I would suggest refining it a bit if possible...

I don't mean to sound harsh though, because I REALLY like your game...just as with your Zelda game, it's the best in it's genre IMO!!

Grtz,
    Maikel

fospher.com
    mmmh? i think i understand what you say, but i don't understand how it's possible, since the shadow is embed in the character's MC, so it's "xscaling" too for sure...

MTEV (and ziplockkitty)
    1) wow, that's exactly what i was improving right now ^^
    2) about the combo system, i'll work with it soon, very soon. the method i used will be perfect for combos like left, left+MP, but not for hadoken type... please be patient, the current combo code is the first one i had.

i'm also working on multi scrolling (it looks cool), and a better scrolling code (did you notice, if characters are far from each other, the game is slower... > i'll fix that for sure...

thanks for the comments, they keep me motivated. (and don't forget, it will come open source like my rocky's file, that way you'll can use it and improve it ^^)

oh, and i saw it several times, but what means IMO?

IMO = In my opinion
    IMHO = In my humble opinion

Guess my opinion just wasn't humble

marmotte, looking better and better each time I see your game coming up. I cant wait to see what youve got coming =))

Nugget

Amazing mate, looks and runs really sweet, p4 2.0 t3 work terminal.. urm I'm a flasher been doing multimedia stuff up to now, want to get into games, anyone know of any good tutorial sites for beat em ups?

Ta crew keep up the hard work.

thanks for the feedbacks.

i've coded a little bit differently the scrolling (no more slowdowns if the characters are far from each other), plus added depth in it (background graphics scroll slower than forground graphics).

mmmh, i'm also thinking about changing the colors of the character's clothes (in case two players are the same character). i already worked with the setTransform method (that way, when we fight during the night, the character's brightness is low).

> my question is: is it possible to track in a specified MC a color (example: red) and change it to blue using AS? i tried setRGB, of course the entire character was differently colored. so, is there a way (i don't think so, but let's hope ^^)?

Smile

Yo marmotte, i like your little fox dude site as well man, p.s do u know of any good tutorial sites to get me started into flash gaming, i have 2 years multi media experiance during my degree and am looking into gaming for my final year project, your help is much appreciated...

Ta dude

Great graphics but it's too slow on a mac. Why don't macromedia sort out the mac flash player EH!
    Hexagone

Jemadah
    i have an open source file of my web site if you want, right here:
    http://www.marmotte.levillage.org/fi...cky_pack02.zip

hexagone
    well, the fact is, i'm developing it with a mac, and the game doesn't seems so slow...? its original speed is 60 fps, and it runs fairly easy between (40-52)
    if you want to manifest about mac's flash player's speed, go in the macintosh forum, there's a petition (i wonder if it is still active)

Loved the game man. SOOOOOOOOOOOO SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH

The frame rate is the problem then. If it run easily between 40 and 52 it's not at full speed and will jerk and not be smooth which is exactly what is happening.
    Hexagone

oh, but even 30 fps is smooth. so no matter what happens, 40 or 50 fps will be even smoother.

btw, i just tested it on a G4, it's super super smooth (i was very impressed to see my game that fast) even during scrolling (i have a G3 at home)