A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: silhouettes?

hey,

say i wanna take a photograph and outline the person in it, and make it into a silhouette (I.E. the body of the person in all gray, with no detail other than the lines around the body). What would i use to do this?? ive tried adobe photodeluxe, with the smart-select, but that always comes out super blocky. i would also like to make it in vector format. i have adobe illustrator 8.0 and 9.0, from a friend, but ive never used them. could someone please tell me the best method for this??

Jake

Like the one I did for one of my sites, what I did was take the photo then imported in to flash and then used the line tool to trace the outline of the image, then just coloured, export as an image.

Try that way.

Originally posted by bluedot
    i have adobe illustrator 8.0 and 9.0, from a friend, but ive never used them. could someone please tell me the best method for this??

Jake
    if they belong to your friend you should nt have them (its illegal)

notice how i said i never used them?? yep, i know its illegal.

black_phoenix is right.

As Mods we are required to discourage the talk of warez on these boards.

You could use Illustrator for what you are looking to do - Computers Arts I believe has some relevant tutes online

cheers
    a

i am very aware, as i pointed out last time, I HAVE NEVER USED THEM, I SAID THAT IN MY FIRST POST. all i was asking is if that was a good tool to use. thank you for your concern, i also disagree with warez............ ok thats all.... dont wanna make anyone mad. hehe.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    i can also do it in photoshop, using the pen tool, quite easy

You can convert any image to a vector image by using FLASH >>Imort image>>then Bitmap trace it....delete all unwanted portions.

You can also use Adobe Streamline it gives you more control of the outcome than FLASH does....import that into FLASH..and do the same thing...

-whispers-

OMG just help the friggen dude! all he wanted was some help.

k, this is the way that I would do it.
    • I'd bring my photo into Illustrator.
    • Then using the pen tool (P on the keyboard) I CLICK (not click and drag, just click) to make a basic outline. Don't to it TOO nice, because you're going to go back later and correct it.
    • Next if you've positioned something where you didn't want it, do either two things. a) use the Direct Selection TOol (A on the keyboard) and move the points around. b) if you don't want the points altogether, then use the Minus too from under the Pen tool (- on the keyboard, next to the + sign) and hover over the point that you don't want, and then click
    • once you're pretty happy with the round outline that you've created, you want to have curves and the like. So you select the Convert Anchor Point tool (Shift + C on keyboard), hover over the point you want to bend, then click and drag. Depending on the direction you dragged and the angle etc etc, you can get the curve that you want. To reposition things, again select the Direct Selection tool. To add in more points, then put the Plus tool from under the pen tool (+ on the keyboard, next to the backspace button) and click anywhere on the line you've created and move it around using the Direct Selection tool.

Thats just a REALLY brief summary of what I would do. Obviously its not THE best explaination around, but hey...I didn't say it was going to be indepth.

have fun

thanks chewman, you remind me of an old friend, are you by any chance from phillie?? aright, thanks for the help. lata.

Jake

i would also like to make it in vector format. i have adobe illustrator 8.0 and 9.0, from a friend, but ive never used them. could someone please tell me the best method for this??

Jake
    You can download a demo of streamline fron C-net I believe.....it's works well for vectorizing. I work for a sign company and all I can use is vectors, so we use streamline. You can drag and drop your vectorized image into illustrator.

thanks chewman, you remind me of an old friend, are you by any chance from phillie?? aright, thanks for the help. lata.

Jake
    nah sorry mate, I'm from Aus no probs for the help.