dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: need some Graphic Guru Advice

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bahrain, Middle East
    Posts
    126
    http://www.geccogroup.com/flash/layout.html

    would love some recommendations on improving this site.

    JPEGs will be incorporated later, but for now I want the basic design/layout to be good - which it currently is NOT.

    as an aside, I'm looking to add some complexity to the design, for example, often times, I've noticed the bg of the HTML page in which a SWF is placed to have a graph-paper/grid like effect. would love some ideas/advice on how to achieve this.

    all comments welcome. thanks in advance.

    S.

  2. #2
    FK Catwoman Aria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Travelling
    Posts
    2,313
    Originally posted by SJBhatia


    as an aside, I'm looking to add some complexity to the design, for example, often times, I've noticed the bg of the HTML page in which a SWF is placed to have a graph-paper/grid like effect. would love some ideas/advice on how to achieve this.


    S.
    you can do grids in Illustrator on the fly - anything in particular you have in mind ?

    a

  3. #3
    Swedish
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    238
    Originally posted by SJBhatia
    http://www.geccogroup.com/flash/layout.html

    would love some recommendations on improving this site.

    JPEGs will be incorporated later, but for now I want the basic design/layout to be good - which it currently is NOT.

    as an aside, I'm looking to add some complexity to the design, for example, often times, I've noticed the bg of the HTML page in which a SWF is placed to have a graph-paper/grid like effect. would love some ideas/advice on how to achieve this.

    all comments welcome. thanks in advance.

    S.
    I belive some small rulers on the lines would do great. and maybe some neat graphics behind the sourounding area (the part without content) that change with the color.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    348
    Originally posted by SJBhatia
    for example, often times, I've noticed the bg of the HTML page in which a SWF is placed to have a graph-paper/grid like effect. would love some ideas/advice on how to achieve this.
    that might help you with the grid thing... theres a tut. called Grid there...
    http://www.thinkdan.com/tutorials/photoshop.html

    Originally posted by SJBhatia
    would love some recommendations on improving this site.

    JPEGs will be incorporated later, but for now I want the basic design/layout to be good - which it currently is NOT.

    as an aside, I'm looking to add some complexity to the design...
    well first, wou should go easy on your self, its not like you would win an 'ugliest of the web' award or something... sure theres a few things you can do to improve, heres some of what i've learned trough the years :

    1- color scheme : by using the right mix of colors, you can add a lot visually to your site, even if your site is not really gfx intense, or have no gfx at all... (for example, changing colors for each section of your site is a good idea, but are you sure the colors you chose are the right ones ?)
    2- precision : are your things perfectly aligned (like the bar at the bottom of your site) ? is your navigation intuitive ? do you have a 'humm, theres something wrong' feel when looking at your site (repeat here : like the bar at...) ? etc
    3- knowing/understanding what is needed : gfx intense ? minimal style ? corp. look ? etc... what is NEEDED for your site... once you find out, everything else you made can go to the recycle bin
    4- understand what is the purpose of the site, and making the site achieve that purpose : well, it says it all i think... its probably the toughest part though...

    Originally posted by SJBhatia
    [B]as an aside, I'm looking to add some complexity to the design[B]
    complexity ? gives two choice to a client, a- simple look/style and b- complex, gfx intense, etc... and the client will choose A most of the time...


    hope this will help, back to my english lesson now...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bahrain, Middle East
    Posts
    126
    thank you all for your replies.

    as far as the colors go, each division of "The Gecco Group" has an assigned color, which can be found at:

    http://www.geccogroup.com/

    based on that, the flash movie changed color depending on which 'division' the user is in. Maybe these colors were incorrectly chosen however, and I do have the flexibility to change them.

    My color theory knowledge isn't up to scratch, and recommendations on colors to use would be much appreciated, I do understand that color will play an important role in the effectiveness of the site, and since it's probably not going to be graphics-heavy, the color needs to do it's job well.

    thanks again for all your helpful advice.

    S.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    348
    Originally posted by SJBhatia
    My color theory knowledge isn't up to scratch, and recommendations on colors to use would be much appreciated, I do understand that color will play an important role in the effectiveness of the site, and since it's probably not going to be graphics-heavy, the color needs to do it's job well.
    well, theres a few colors that could be changed on your site

    1A- colors inside the sections : going with dark/pale colors... example ; if u use a dark color for the background (lets say blue, or red), you can then use a paler color for the company name at top (white, yellow, pale orange, green, etc)... no beige on yellow pleaze !!
    1B- inside sections again : mix of hot/cold colors ; example, your background is red (hot color), you can then use a 'cold' color for text or comp. name like blue, green, etc

    2A transitions : you can decide of 2 colors, and make the section go from color a to color b, example : 3 section, if the 1ss is blue, and the 3rd is red... what the 2nd color should be ? purple of course (purple = mix or red & blue)... got the idea ?

    i've made this http://marcquesnel.web1000.com (just a start,gfx probably wont stay) recently, its all about the 'use of colors')... might give you some ideas... you'd be surprised when trying some mix, wich colors goes well together...

    so, good luck... and pleaaaaaaase... no more beige on yellow and stuff like that...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center