A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Moderator Question & Comment

Is there a posibility of adding a 'Pixel Police'type section to the FK forums? I'm not sure if this has been considered, or even if its a solution.

However it seems a great deal of FK's potential (time, space, money) is being wasted on rip, copy and I hate (insert design firm's name here)work.

Its ruined Cool Sites already, There is also another popular Flash forum online that is overrun with this kind of 'situation', usually resulting in flame wars which also are are a waste.

There are many hungry talents, veteran talents and industry heavyweights that visit FK, and I wonder if we ALL are missing an opportunity to get better and learn from each other (or not). So much is being missed. If anyone doesn't believe me, step out side of the Flash design community once in a while.

REAL arguments, criticism and suggestions foster imporvement and growth, and that can be worth a forum visit. But the afore mentioned wastefulness is just missing the point.

I apologize for this outburst but it has been on my mind.

Thanks,

ec2

(excuse typos)

in what way has this ruined cool sites? Are you talking about threads that covered 2advanced?

I close rip threads as a matter of course.

People will always have disagreements, the thing is to try and create something constructive from those disagreements. One of the recent long threads in cool sites covering the new 2dvanced site had numerous constructive and informative contributions from people like nevil of theory7 and tony novak of 2advanced. The 2advanced site that was being debated was even changed to add usability because of that thread.

There will always be people that rant and rave, that happens everywhere, you have to be able to cut through the bs and concentrate and react to what is constructive.

I personally don't think there should be a 'rip' forum, it will just end up being flame after flame and helping no one. I would rather go on just closing these threads where they appear. If you see a rip thread inform a moderator and they will close it.

but i'm not going to close threads where people are disagreeing over design merits, if it genuinely comes down to flaming and insults then I will close the thread or delete the posts, which ever is more appropriate, but I think that something constructive can come out of even the most uninformed opinions. That's partly why this site is here as you say yourself.

I understand that you want "REAL arguments, criticism and suggestions" but what would you have me do? Delete thoughts from those less able to express themselves? I cannot and won't censor people's arguments based on the intelligence of them, it's up to others to point out the deficiencies not simply remove them.

if I have misinterpreted your complaints let me know, but I honestly don't see where rip threads are wasting space, they are closed when they appear.

Originally posted by aversion
    in what way has this ruined cool sites? Are you talking about threads that covered 2advanced?

I close rip threads as a matter of course.

People will always have disagreements, the thing is to try and create something constructive from those disagreements. One of the recent long threads in cool sites covering the new 2dvanced site had numerous constructive and informative contributions from people like nevil of theory7 and tony novak of 2advanced. The 2advanced site that was being debated was even changed to add usability because of that thread.

There will always be people that rant and rave, that happens everywhere, you have to be able to cut through the bs and concentrate and react to what is constructive.

I personally don't think there should be a 'rip' forum, it will just end up being flame after flame and helping no one. I would rather go on just closing these threads where they appear. If you see a rip thread inform a moderator and they will close it.

but i'm not going to close threads where people are disagreeing over design merits, if it genuinely comes down to flaming and insults then I will close the thread or delete the posts, which ever is more appropriate, but I think that something constructive can come out of even the most uninformed opinions. That's partly why this site is here as you say yourself.

I understand that you want "REAL arguments, criticism and suggestions" but what would you have me do? Delete thoughts from those less able to express themselves? I cannot and won't censor people's arguments based on the intelligence of them, it's up to others to point out the deficiencies not simply remove them.

if I have misinterpreted your complaints let me know, but I honestly don't see where rip threads are wasting space, they are closed when they appear.

Aversion I meant no offense to you or any other moderator.
    You all do an excellent job. In no way would try to tell you how or what to do.

You do close rip threads and flaming and insult threads. I can attest to that.

I had a hard time deciding whether to post my question/comment, because I wasn't sure it would help.

I did read the 2A thread you mentioned and that was 'THE' best FK thread I've read. (I even think its worth saving as a text document). Very informative. I hope there will be more like it.

I think you are correct. There always will be and should be opinionated people that rant and rave. I also agree that opinions should not be removed, even if uninformed, and that the community should try to 'point out the deficiencies'. All true.

Luckily, I am able to cut through the 'bs'. I guess its not my place to worry about whether or not others can do the same. Maybe I should try to help instead of complaining.

Thanks for the reply-

not at all, complaining is all good, as our honourable admin can, I'm sure, testify! Any comments you may have are always welcome.

I think your points are valid and I certainly get very frustrated with the forums sometimes, but the point always remains that this is a very diverse community and we have to have the patience of a saint and the understanding of a very understanding person

I hope that you will continue to be a part of it and cut through the BS, and I certainly hope it's worth it for you