A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Speeding up data transfer...

SO's are too slow for pseudo-real-time transfers...WAY to slow

Calls are faster, but lag like nothing else if there's much data at all (3 users each sending an object with 6 properties, the properties are 3 digit numbers)

Is there any live data-stream in FCS MX?

Here's my test...Hybrid IOS(Interactive Online Simulation)
    The blue one is you, use arrows to control movement..
    the white ones are other connected users
    with each connected user, a orangish "wandering melon" is added just to spice things up...

now this works OK with broadband clients as long as there's only like 2-3 clients connected. but even then it starts to lag. with >3 clients or with slower connections, the transfer rate just dies...

any suggestions? And "dont make it real-time" is not a suggestion...

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey -
    Pretty cool! It didn't lag too bad for me..

The only thoughts I have are that the data transfer can't really be sped up unless of course you lighten the size of the data going through. I don't see where sync's are any slower than calls, but I haven't tried to test the difference either.

Some thoughts on speed -
    are you constantly sending the x,y,rotation for each user as they move? The way to get a realistic look is to only send your position when it changes, ie when you change rotation, speed, etc. Then you just sort of predict where each character is going based on his/her last key press. In fact, you could probably simply send what key was pressed?

Psx

Makes sense! that would lighten the load a bit, but would also create errors if the clients are running at different speeds. if client A downloads the offline version and runs it fullscreen then the predictions will be off because the processing speed will differ, while clients B and C are using the internet based version,so their predictions will be more acurate, assuming of course they have about the same proc. and free system resources...

but it's a good idea.

PSX - Get on bloody AIM...