A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Convert Illustrator to Flash?!?

Exclamation

We're about to jump in front of the first city bus that comes by....

Here's the deal: I (the cartoonist) created approximately 2,500 (I swear I am not making this up) individual cartoons for a client who needs to now have the converted to Flash files in order to utilize them in their about-to-launch website (www.kidsedge.com).

We have tried a multitude of processes most of which have not given us satisfactory results in image resolution/color or file size. File size is the biggest issue and we're targeting 1-2k for each image.

The process we've been employing so far is:

1) Open Photoshop and then open the Illustrator image as RBG with 300 dpi (any less really effects image quality when it gets to Flash. We've reduced the image size to 50% but it hasn't afforded us any lower files sizes).

2) Copy the image to the clipboard

3) Paste directly into Flash (looks great so far)

4) Trace Bitmap

5) Save ((we've tried so many different settings combinations in Trace Bitmap with all kinds of different results but not the file size we need).

Can anyone tell me...

A) if Freehand can CLEANLY import Illustrator files

B) if Flash file sizes in the range we need (1-2 or 3k) be achieved only be creating in Flash start-to-finish)

This is getting pretty close to crisis stage, so if anyone feels a phone conversation makes better sense just email me (tclary@uswest.net) and I'll call you.

Thanks!

------------------

---

Todd Clary
    POB 482
    Englewood, CO 80151
    tclary@uswest.net
    www.toddclary.com

u can import illustrator files directly into flash!

CheerZ
    rosie

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000354.swf" quality=high WIDTH=600 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

We know you can import and even cut and paste. Our problem is more an issue of file size.

------------------

---

Todd Clary
    POB 482
    Englewood, CO 80151
    tclary@uswest.net
    www.toddclary.com

Todd, could you please give us an example of an original EPS filesize, and what the resulting SWF filesize is (using a direct EPS import into Flash)?

I just did a test: I imported a 50KB PS file (a logo) into Flash and exported it to a 2.5KB SWF. Then I went back and smoothed the logo once and exported again: 1.8KB now.

So... you may wish to try importing your EPS (Illustrator or whatever) and selecting some or all bits and doing a smooth or two. This reduces the amount of data in the lines / shapes.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000302.swf" quality=high WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=80 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leto:
    Todd, could you please give us an example of an original EPS filesize, and what the resulting SWF filesize is (using a direct EPS import into Flash)?

I just did a test: I imported a 50KB PS file (a logo) into Flash and exported it to a 2.5KB SWF. Then I went back and smoothed the logo once and exported again: 1.8KB now.

So... you may wish to try importing your EPS (Illustrator or whatever) and selecting some or all bits and doing a smooth or two. This reduces the amount of data in the lines / shapes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking

Thanks for everyone's help--I've happened upon Debabelizer which is taking care of the problem!

------------------
    ---

Todd Clary
    POB 482
    Englewood, CO 80151
    tclary@uswest.net
    www.toddclary.com
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00002170.swf" quality=high WIDTH=302 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

Sorry, I just got back from Falsh Forward 2000 and have a ton to catch up on. Great soulution using Debab. But you could also use streamline by Adobe to do the job also. If you need anymore help let me know. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>