dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: designer/programmer where is the line drawn....

like the thread, had to add a little more

i dont believe in 'multi-tasking'... when we think about it seriously... you cannot master (i mean master, not just know the thing) more than one or two things... by the time you're a PS7 guru, PS8 will be out... same goes with other soft. or languages... so... tell me you MASTER all those skills you wrote on your resume ? that's what i thought...

people think to much about was is needed on a particular field... not enough about what they want to do, or what they're good at...

here, in quebec, if you happen to be a 'multi-tasker' (skills in asp, php, html, js, css, ps7, flash, actionscript, etc...) you'll end up with a 12$/hr job or so... only 12$ you say ?... well, we all know you're not a guru in ALL these things...

on the other hand, if you make your self available for work in a field you really mastered (you know : being the best of the best of the best)... you'll end up making more than 12/hr, and making what you really like for a living...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    So, let me get this straight - all you guys are jumping all over each other to try and find the next big thing, the next 'Flavor of the Month' in apps, coding, etc?

Why bother? If you don't know what you're good at, why did you get into this buisness at all? And if you do know what you're good at, why devote time learning another 'skill', using the word 'skill' loosely, because how can you consider yourself a 'pro' if you only read a book and have little-to-no hands-on?

If there's no current work for your area of expertise, is the solution really to go and buy a book on php (an example) and get stuck in while there's 'nothing better to do'. No way. Practise what you're good at and eventually, there'll be someone asking for what you have on offer.

Bottom line - why let the market dictate what skills you must have. Sounds like a no-win game, with you, the retailer, dangling in the end of a string. Focus on your skills and sell 'em for all you've got.

I am not opposed to people clasifying themselves as whatever they think they are. My reply goes to the original message posted. Where is the line between designer and programmer? Granted the line has been blurred in recent years, by applications like flash where design and functionality are intergrated. But look at the global picture. Not all web projects are flash related. As a project manager, my job is to hire designers, developers, programmers, technicians and any other classification the computer industry people can create. However, when I post a job listing I request designer or developer, unless I am requesting a specific area of expertise. Just do an experiment: go to your favorite joblisting and search under designer of developer, see how many listing show up. Then search under what you identify yourself as and see how many come up. designer / developer will win. I am not saying that it is right, or that there are not better models out there. But the majority of jobs will classify designer as a artist, story boarder, interface creater, and will classify developer as one who adds the functionality. Its great to define yourself to what you do, but don't make the mistake of classifying or limiting your job opportunities so that know body know who or what you do. Hardly anybody knows that a enviromental waste technician is a garbage man.