A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: File Size is Enormous

Why is it that when I build a flash movie, if I'm in the development stages, the file size keeps getting larger and larger. If when I'm done I create a new movie and just copy the action script and components from the old movie into the new one and save it the file size is drastically smaller? The movies run identically and look identical on the stage and in the timeline.

I know that MS Access does something very similar and there is a compact feature that allows you to clean up the file. Does Flash work the same way? Is there some way to compact my movie files?

CFDaddy

.fla file sizes add up over time, even if you delete items you are not using. when i want to make my .fla file smaller, i delete any bmp's or wav's, the do a SAVE AS. this will compact your file,,,

Thanks for repsonding so quickly. I should tell more about my file. I'm building some basic datagrid movies that get populated by calling a ColdFusion CFC. There are no graphics or sounds of any kind other than those that are built into the MessageBox component. Really, the actionscript is only about 200 lines long and there is a datagrid, Message Box, and two PromptBox componets in the movie. It consists of 4 frames on 4 layers.

The file size is about 600KB. If I copy all of the stuff above and paste it correctly into a new file and save the file size is about 60K, roughly 10x's smaller!

I hope this helped explain a little better. Again, thank you for your reply.

CFDaddy

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    the fla or the swf is bigger? if the fla, just open the library, click on the menu icon and select Select Unused Items, then hit the trash can...

Okay Okay Okay.... I'm an idiot. I accept complete responsibility for this useless thread I have created. I understand being banned from this board for life if the Gods deem fit.

The large file is a .fla, the small file I was looking at is a .swf

I'M A MORON!!!!!!

Sorry for wasting everyone's time!!!!

Head hung low in shame,

CFDaddy