A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loadmovie isnt loading movie

ok i have a flash movie(gradientteal.swf) which is supposed to load another movie(movingbars.swf) into it but when the file is previewed in a browser, NOTHING happens. the initial movie is loaded but the second movie doesnt show up at all-
    heres exactly what i did-
    created both files in flash mx
    exported them for flash 5
    every code besides the actionscript is being done in cold fusion
    ill be waiting for ur replys-

what code have you used to load the movies? It seems a really simple problem. Maybe the movie hasn't had time to load before it is being displayed.

What actionscript did you use, if you've loaded the swf file into a movie clip a common problem is that the swf file is loading it is just being positioned of the edge of the screen so it cabn't be seen (when loaded into a movie clip the top left corner of an swf file will be placed at the centre point ofthe clip it is loaded into) in this case all you need to do is reposition the clip you are loading it to get it to appear.

it is a simple script thats why im completely lost, i do this all the time
    loadMovie ("movingbars.swf", "loader");

cold there be a problem that the loadmovie action in MX doesnt work well when saved in flash 5?

i positioned it right on the money like always-
    any other common problems i might of overlooked?

I've not had any problems with it.
    What about the path to the movie?
    Like the others said, a large file will take a while to load as well; how big is this swf?

hmmm, I guess there are the old favourites... stuff like spelling the instance name wrong somewhere (i'm good at that one ) or foregetting to add the instance name other than that if the clip loader is on the main timeline try

loadMovie ("movingbars.swf", _root.loader);

the swf im trying to load is 40kbs, i understand it might take a while to load on the net, but im viewing it locally, and even if it did load slow i would of saw the preloader

-by the way thanks for helping me guys-

i checked the spelling real good, when i open the initial raw swf it works fine, it is just when it is entered into a browser nothing works

Is it in the same folder as the loader?
    put it in the same folder and test it first, see if the swf might be corrupted...

I've just created a dummy version of what yoou are trying to do and it works absolutely fine. The code I used was

loadMovie("movie2.swf", _root.mc);

has your second movie got a stop command on the first frame? Sounds silly but it happens.

yeah its in the same folder- i dont think its corrupted because when i view the html from the first file it works perfectly, its only when it is applied to this e-commerce site my co-workers are doing. u think other scripts might have a conflict with ationscript?

nope it doesnt have the stop action-

can you upload the files so we can download and take a look?

the best i can do it email u the files- fla? swf? or both?

Browser plugin

It may happen because you've published your swf in flash MX, but the flash-plugin in your browser is 5-th version. It doesn't see swf made in MX even it was published as 5-th flash.