dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick question: Animated GIFs

I've been writing a tutorial on Flash animation, and I introduced tweening by comparing tweened animation to animated GIFs. I said, "Another problem [with animated GIFs] is that generally, the artist must draw each and every frame individually. This can be very time-consuming, and sometimes difficult to manage."

Is that statement correct? Do most animated GIF creation programs simply join existing images, or do they usually have some sort of tweening capability?

Thanks!

Swedish
    I don't know about a tweening capability.. don't think it exist!

There are programs like Flash that will export an animated gif. But most Gif making programs have no tweening capabiltiy. I've never used one that has one.

Gif images are known as Raster or Bitmap. This means means they are pixel based. Information is stored in each pixel. Tweening a Bitmap is more processor intensive because of this.

Flash and other illustrating apps are Vector based. Meaning the information stored is more of a mathmatical calculation of paths. Musch easier to tween, scale, rotate or just move around in general.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    You can consider kpt 6 goo, it uses tweening. And I've never tried, but even flash exports gifs, so it may export as animated.

Thanks everyone, you gave me the information I needed.