A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Heavybag Media comments, please

I would appreciate some oppinions on our site. IT's sort of never done, ever changing. I think the navigation is quite original. I have seen the room thing done before, but not usually like this.

Thanks,
    Jackie

Nice design/concept but I think personally the full screen mode is putting on a lot of stress on the bandwidth. I think it would look more professional if it is within a small box.

Apart from that, it looks cool as it is unique.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have gotten comments from both sides concerning the full screen. Some poeple enjoy the impersive environment, considering the theme of the site. Others agree with you.

As far as bandwidth is concerned though, I beleive a file is a file, and stretching the vector art does not make the file size any bigger. Could it be a ram thing?

My apologies -- I don't mean the size issue of the SWF. You would need to consider the bandwidth itself -- the bigger the image, the more data it needs to send (e.g. not the size).

Does that make sense, it is hard to describe it in words.

Maybe you could offer two different versions? e.g. "full screen" or "minimised screen".

I could do that.

I still don't quite unterstand though. Isn't it still funneling the same amount of Kb per second? I'm not contesting what you're saying, I just don't quite get it.

slooooww

i have a pIII 1.0 gz / 500 meg-o-ram ... 32 meg video card and this thing still runs slow... i recommend a fixed movie size no bigger than 800 x 600

cheers..

I'll try an 800 X 600 window, that seems to be the consensus.

It works fine though both on my G4 450/cable modem/512 MB RAM, and also on my work machine, dual 450's, 1 gig ram, and DSL.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

Any opinions, other than the size of the window????

Very interesting concept... How did you do the 3-D?

Great work!
    Venio

I did the 3D in swift 3D. I created a linear animation, animating a camera down a street I created with a combination of models I built in swift, and imported 3Ds. models I bought from turbo squid. Then I imported the animation and had it play either backwards or forwards at different speeds depending on where the mouse was.

For inside the buildings, I just created the floor and walls in S3D, and either drew the stuff by hand, or traced photographs.

I'm still working on all of the individual buildings, I don't think it will ever be finished.

Thanks Venio for taking the time

Glad you liked it!

Hi,
    I changed it to an 800 X 600 window. If some of you folks wouldn't mind going back and letting me know if it's better...

Thanks

I like the forum changes