A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I'd like to add a google seach bar to my site, but..

I know about the copy and paste into your html the have at google but what if I wanted to have it right in my .swf? And even if I used the copy & paste thing how can I resize there bar so it's not so over powering?

Ant idea's would be greatly appreciated

ye

Yeah, it is possible, but why would you want it ??
    save the effort and stuff google - Im very negative tonight

Kieran.

Perhaps you would be willing to share this information with me? It is for a client, they want a ggogle bar on their pages. But I want to add it to the actual .swf not the index.html page

This is totally off topic, but this thread is one reason I get frustrated coming here for help with flash. You try to ask questions in other forums within the site, and people act like you're the most stupid creature to ever grace the earth. SO, you come here, to the newbies section, figuring "there are no stupid questions here" might actually apply. No. You still run into condescension and second guessing. If someone wants a damned Google search engine bar on their .swf and someone else knows how to do it, who is he/she to question WHY the first person wants the bar? I was under the impression that these forums were here to help people, and yes, I've gotten a lot of help here between my own questions and reading other posts. However, it is irritating the amount of times I've run across threads where people ask simple questions and other people, apparently thinking they're beyond these simple things, cheese on the person for asking.
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to come down on you specifically, problems4me. I guess this is just where I reached my limit.

Hey! Thx for your support!

I found out the answer somewhere else...

All you need to do is make a input text, give it an instance name of myQuery. Then a search button with this code:
    Code:
    on (release) {
    getURL ("http://www.google.com/custom", "_new", "GET");
    }
    Here's the key thing: in the veriable box for the input text put the letter "q"

You need to know the variable name the search engine uses (almost always one letter). Type in what every you want at a search engine page and then look at the URL on the results page,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...romedia+google

The letter after the last "&" is going to be the variable the engine uses, in this case q.
    This will vary as will the search URL for every search engine.

There is a way to return the results of the Google search in Flash using Google's Web API. Use the above link for more info.

Hope this helps out anyone else who would like to do this:

thx again for your support fuktifino.

Well, I couldn't answer your question, but it was obvious to me that surely SOMEONE here could have. You're welcome, and thank you for pointing the way to how to do this.