A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !!!MX VIDEO DOESN'T WORK FROM CD!!!

DONT use FlashMX video for cd-rom...it doesn't work...use Director to control Quicktimes (that are published from MX ie. if you're syncing MX embedded video with other flash animation/text/elements)...and dont bother listening to the 3rd party developers as they have NOT resolved the streaming mx video from cd-rom problem. Ive tried and with much frustration, wasted time, pissed client etc. I would love it if I could EASILY sync video with text animations, as I am producing instructional cd-roms that use this. Unfortunately Flash MX is not the answer.I would LOVE for someone to resolve this problem, but MacroMedia have not even released a technote about this...

By the way, when I say it doesnt work, I mean it doesn't stream properly of you have a series of video swf's loading one after the other. It either stutters, or just causes a fatal exception and crashes....

Hey len,

What are the major issues here? Are you loading sequentialy (stitching) - or are you loading new movies into the same level and the memory doesn't clear?

Just curious, I've promised things I can't deliver before - but I've never run into a brick wall like the MX Projector issue. I've avoided even trying because of all the bad things I've read in the past.

We're you told by someone that there was a workaround?

5G

I'm loading new mobies into the same level....I tried 3rd party solution (flashn'pack) to clear memory ....didnt work.If their is a useful workaround, i'm not aware of it....and most of the people i've been in contact with have tried a few(myself included)

here's what macromedia have to say
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...s/bigflash.htm

I believe MacroMedia is at a state in flux between Flash and Director. They want Flash to become an all in one authoring multimedia app, but it falls short in a few key areas. And they aren't updating Director to become a more tactile,more accessible product. ie. show me an easy way to sync video with a text animation in director ( requires a fair bit of scripting).
    Oh well,
    What i'm doing is creating the video and synced text animations in MX and then publishing as a Quicktime, then bring those Quicktimes into Director...

I was at a Macromedia MX seminar recently, they mentioned that Director MX will be coming out sometime soon.

They must have the bases covered, otherwise I think you would witness a greater effort to resolve the issues with CD/ROM and Flash.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

5G

sequential videos/ cd rom

LL,

I'm dealing with the same problem now (after reading your post!). I just tried using unloadmovie before the new load - no success. Next will try duplicating or attaching new target mc's to load the video's into.

Will share if i find a solution.

Re: sequential videos/ cd rom

Originally posted by dogdaddy
    LL,

I'm dealing with the same problem now (after reading your post!). I just tried using unloadmovie before the new load - no success. Next will try duplicating or attaching new target mc's to load the video's into.

Will share if i find a solution.
    wont work...
    the only solution i've found to work is
    -end-user copying to hard drive
    -flashn'pack utility where you Open your main navigation swf in flash then in it's first frame put this : fscommand("Memory.defrag", "TextField1"); where textField1 is our Dynamic text that will show you the progress.... etc.
    BUT BELIEVE ME HARDLY AN ELEGANT OR USEFUL SOLUTION.
    good luck!

What probelms are you having, exactly.

We have been using MX with video on CD and have run into a few probelms, but none that couldn't be fixed.

Flash loads the movies into memory before it plays. On a CD there is no "streaming" per se. I have used Director for video in the past only to be thwarted by a change in QT version that is not backward compatable (like everytime!! ).

There is usually a way to make it work, but it might need to start at the planning stages.

well, the problem is that after the 3-5 swf (embedded video) starts , it stutters and /or crashes. The swf's are loaded into a main navigation swf with loadmovie, target....what exactly is a workaround for this .
    Many people would like to know...
    thx

mudgy,
    still hoping to hear about how you fixed those problems, especially if one of those problems was the video stutter/crash that happens on some machines...

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    The stutter bug is in the Flash 6 player. It occurs with videos with streaming audio that are loaded from a CD.
    I'm still waiting for word from MM on when they will fix the problem, which will hopefully be soon.
    Until then, the only solution we have found is to put the videos into the main movie and not load them. That seems to work. But you can end up with a very large FLA.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com

putting all video in one file will work but it will take forever to load the movie from thje CD-ROM.
    I'm wondering...
    if you put the movies in different scenes, they will not unload when jumping to another scene...right?

Wildform Moderator
    You can put the videos in separate movie clips all within the main movie and then unload them to free up the ram, but then you will not be able to view that video again.
    The problem seems to occur with multiple load movie actions. So if you only have a few videos, you're probably okay loading them.
    As I mentioned, hopefully MM will fix this very soon and we can stop worrying about it.
    jb

How soon is pretty soon?!

From your experience Jonathan, could it take days, weeks or months
    before MM come up with a solution?
    i am working on a project with 5 videos of 7 minutes each!
    I have to finish by novembre 5th. You think I should switch to director right away?
    Thanks

Wildform Moderator
    I just sent MM another email asking.
    When I get a response, I'll post it here.
    jb

Wildform Moderator
    I just heard back from MM. They say there should be a beta "soon".
    I'll post back when I hear more.
    jb

any more news?

bump

bump

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    I contacted MM again today and this is what they wrote me:
    "We will be having a public beta very shortly to test this very problem."
    When I asked again when he wrote:
    "Very soon :-)"
    That's what I know.
    jb

thx jonathan !

Hi,

I have used video with MX and CD.

I have about 8 videos of 5mB each encoded with Sorenson Squeeze,
    I load them on different scene each time and do not have any problems with them when i play my CD either on MAC or PC either with an .exe file or the .swf file.

I just put a "pre-scene" like a "please wait movie loading" before each movies of the different scene get dowloaded in the RAM, it takes maybe few seconds depending on the speed of your machine but no more.
    Of course the bigger the video the longer it will take.

Regards

Kcabe