dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Autosizing TextFields--height, but not width

I've got a dynamic text field; I'm loading its text from an outside source, so I don't really know what the text is going to be, or how many characters it will have. I would like the text field to automatically resize itself to show all of its text. However, I don't want the width to change.

In other words, I want a text field that works the same way they do inside the Flash authoring environment. After you set the width of a text field with the little square in the corner of the bounding box, the width won't change regardless of how much text you put in. Instead, the text wraps around to the next line, and the height of the field is automatically adjusted.

Is there any way to do this?

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    having the same problem....
    well, what we could do is to make a textfield the widest width we could think of and then take the width of the character "M" and multiply that width string.length of the variable for the textfield and pass it to set the width of the square....messy....

Yeah, your suggestion might be the most practical solution available. Grr. You'd think this would have been an obvious feature for text fields.