A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Great ides...can't implement....need help!

I am having a few issues with the design I am working on for a site.

1.Navigation: I built a nav that slides in when you roll over the word menu. It contains 6 buttons. When I click on the buttons, I should go to another page, but it doesnt seem to work. That's problem 1.

2. Background: The background of the site is the company's logo at like 300%. I would like the home page to be at one part of the "zoomed logo." Then, when you go into a section, the background moves to another part of the logo. Then when you go to yet another section, the logo moves again to another part. Since I can't predict where the user is going to go, there has to be a way of setting up the movies so that it plays forward to go too one section and back to go to another. No Clue. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

on the button issue, you can make a new scene and have the button go there.

on(release){
    gotoAndPlay("scene2",1);
    }

--modify the frame scene name to your needs

or you can have the page on a keyframe further down the timeline.

on(release){
    gotoAndPlay(5);
    }

--modify the frame # to your needs

Bfly03,

Thanks for the imout. I did that. However, when you click on it, the nav disapears. The nav is inside a movie clip...Does that have anything to do with the problem? Would you mind taking a look at it.

http://ivanruiz.webhop.org/mastermindgroup/site1.html

Thanks.
    Ivan

on either the keyframe, or the next scene however you have this set up, you need to have the nav already down, but it inside a mc. so...

you could make a new movie clip with the nav already starting in its down state. just copy those frames, make a new mc, paste frames, and there you go.

ill try to think of some other ways if that dosent work out for you...

The problem isnt the nav... its the fact that I can't get to the next scene.

I think I'm in over my head.

do you know how to add a new scene?

Yeah. The new scene has been created and is called "philo" . I tried linking to it from the "main" scene, but it won't go. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

The nav that slides in is a movie clip, that plays when you rollover the word menu. That works great. Then in that movie, the buttons are set up. Only the first link should work...Philosophy... but for whatever reason, it won't go. My thought is that maybe the button is embedded to far in and it didn't retain its properties. No idea. What do you think? I appreciate all the help, man. Seriously.

yes, sometimes when the button is embedded it will not work. i have't quiet figured out when and why on that one.
    does your code look like this:

on(release){
    gotoAndPlay("philo",1);
    }

if so try this:

1. in your movie clip "nav bar" find out what frame it stops at.

2. goto your main timeline make a new layer call it "buttons"

3. on the frame from step 1. enter a keyframe

4. insert your button then

Damn... that works. The button only works when it's on the main timeline. How could that be? Everybody puts buttons inside movie clips. Can there be another way?

there must be...if you find out make sure to hunt me down. i'll do the same if i find out.

try this & tell me if it works.

make sure you are loading your buttons on a higher level than the rest.

http://web.njit.edu/~iar2179/mastermindgroup/site1.html

You'// see the button in the middle of nowhere that actually works. VERY ANNOYING.

So the button dirctly put onto thew main timeline works perfectly. The one embedded into a movie does not. Any thoughts?