A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CD ROM with Video

Hi,

I just got MX in order to find a way to get video into a CD ROM. I have the video embedded in the flash file, but it still seems that I have to export it as a Quicktime file for the video to work? Am I doing something wrong?

I searched the forum, but alot of it is over my head. Is there a way to make a Flash file that works cross platform, with video, and without asking the user to find all kinds of plugins. I want to just give the cd a mac projector and a pc projector and thats it. Is it possible?

If it is already on here, just a hint of where to find an answer would be great.

Thank you.

Make sure to check to the import to Flash timeline box, and not the link to Quicktime movie when you import.

5G

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    We actually just posted a complete tutorial on this. You can check it out here:
    http://www.wildform.com/tutorials/cd/

jb
    http://www.wildform.com

dont use FlashMX video for cd-rom...it doesn't work...use director to control Quicktimes (that are published from MX ie. if you're syncing MX embedded video with other flash animation/text/elements)...and dont bother listening to the 3rd party developers as they have NOT resolved the streaming mx video from cd-rom problem

dont use FlashMX video for cd-rom...it doesn't work...use director to control Quicktimes (that are published from MX ie. if you're syncing MX embedded video with other flash animation/text/elements)...and dont bother listening to the 3rd party developers as they have NOT resolved the streaming mx video from cd-rom problem
    Poppycok! I use flashmx video for the CD-ROM projects I work on. I have never had any problems.

poppycock...

What!?!
    Are you sure it's MX video we're talking about? You haven't experienced any stutters or fatal exception crashes on other people's machines? If this is true you are the only person who's not experienced this problem, so please share with us how you managed to do this....How did you construct your movies....It was embedded MX video right?And the swf's were streaming from the cd?(ie.there's no problem if the end-user copies to hard drive)Some specifications would be really helpful, as this is a real persistant problem for me and others...
    thx

Felix is right....

... we havent had that problem, either.

Re: Felix is right....

Originally posted by mudgy
    ... we havent had that problem, either.
    y,know, it would really help if you could describe the basic architecture of your cd MX presentation....also, was the cd played on many different computers? Was it 1 video or a series of them....because the problem happens after a few of them play. Mine were embedded video swf loaded into a target mc in a main navigation swf....The video swf's were between 5 to 15 megs each. Please offer how you built your presentation , as there are many people who have encountered this stutter/fatal exception problem.
    thx

Lightbulb

I've created a Flash component which loads and buffers splitted swf files and put them together as a whole video. (playing the first swf while loading next one). Works pretty good with CD-Rom, but the main problem is that everytime Flash starts to play a video, although it's already loaded, the framesrates drops shortly and you have a short gap between the videos. My workaround was to make a benchmark, to see how big the gap is, and to start the second video before the first one ends, which reduced the gap - but there is still a short stuttering.
    If there is way that Flash starts a video without slowing down, CD-Rom streaming with Flash might be possible.

I have been looking into Flash MX video for an upcoming Kiosk project I'm designing. Although I am no expert I have found some interesting information about the subject over the last couple of days. Here are a couple of related tidbits:

The flash MX embedded video doesn’t function as typical streaming video where a frame is loaded into memory, displayed, and then cleared from memory. Frames are loaded into memory and they stay there. After you have loaded several movies the player’s memory usage may be quite large causing playback problems. I do not think unload movie actually clears the frames from memory but would love to have a definitive answer on that.

I read you can reduce the pause between split swf video files by using the attachmovie method instead of the loadmovie method. There reportedly is still a very slight delay but much less noticeable.
    wildhaire

Originally posted by WildHaire

I read you can reduce the pause between split swf video files by using the attachmovie method instead of the loadmovie method. There reportedly is still a very slight delay but much less noticeable.
    Where did you read that? Just wondering.

The difference between loadMovieNum() and attachMovie() is that in the latter - the movie would have to be in the movie's library at play time (meaning the whole movie would be loaded into memory before it would start playing). With loadMovieNum the video will stream in as it plays.

Just a note.

5G

Wheels, good note on the two methods.

I think I read the attachMovie tip in the Video for Flash MX book.
    wildhaire

Alright Mudgy and Karloy,

You've both opened a can of worms here. This has been a well debated and well documented problem with the current release of the Flash Player in the projector format. Video stalls at some point on some machines.

If you're having success we're all extremely happy to hear it! At the very least it means there is hope. I'm just wondering if there are any machines you have not tested on. Maybe we can at least start a list of machines that we know the projector with video will work on so we can all tell our clients what the limits are.

If either of you would be willing to share your methods (or your component Karloy) I can get them posted in the upcoming FAQ section. Any help would be appreciated by all.

Seems compressing with sorenson squeeze in flv format solves many of the problems with video in MX. However I have one problem that I can't seem to solve and it's probably due to the fact that I don't know much about actionscript. It's pretty long before the video starts playing (when it's heavy ie 40Mb)so I want to have a movie clip playing a load movie animation. I put a movie clip on a different layer than the action loading the swf containing my video.
    As soon as I get to the frame where the load movie action occurs, everythingstops in my main movie including the 'loading video' animation. What am I doing wrong?
    This is my first time on this forum...don't disapoint me!!!