A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Print action in loaded .swfs

Print action in loaded .swfs

Abast ye maytees...yarr!

So what am I doing wrong here?

A flash movie loads a second .swf into layer 2. This .swf that is loaded is my "directions" movie with all sorts of directions from all sorts of locals. I have about 12 frames in this directions.swf. Each frame needs to be printable so people can print the directions and get here.

The problem is this: I can get the frame to print, but then it continues and prints every other frame in my directions.swf movie. (At least every frame that I designate to be printable.)

Here is what I tried and some background:
    Attempt 1:

1) Each frame has a print button
    2) Each frame has the #p in the frame label
    3) Each frame has dynamic text which loads correctly from an outside .TXT source.
    4) Each frame is told in the actions for the print button to print level 2. (I am not using the target option.)

Result: My movie prints the frame and each frame after that is designated for printing, not just the frame I want printed.

Attempt 2:
    I read in this book "Actionscript for Designers" directions on how to create a printable Flash movie:

1) create a new movie symbol
    2) place info you want printed into the movie's first frame
    3) label frame with #p in property inspector

I'm assuming all I need to do now is place my movie clip on the stage at the frame I want and then test out the print option.

Result: Well, the print button in my movie appears, but my dynamic text now doesn't show up, which I don't understand because I didn;t change any actionscript that loads those variables. I tried printing for the heck of it and it skipped printing that frame and went ahead and, again, printed every other frame in my timeline that I had designated for printing.

So...before I decide to walk the plank or string my client up on the main mast for a flogging, can anybody tell me how to get my frames to print individually.

This seems like it should be a really easy thing to do. but I don't know how Flash is thinking...and I'm not sure if the engineers who designed the program know how I am thinking.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Okay - so now I am wondering if this is a bug.

I can't imagine how it could be...since it is such an important feature...

I just created a new flash movie to test some things.

2 frames - each with a stop action on it.

1st frame has a movie symbol which contains a PRINT button and some junk I scribbled. The first frame of the movie symbol has a print label... #p. The second frame has a #b label on it and a square with no fill drawn to determine the area that is to be printed. (Again I got this from that Actionscript for Designers book) The first frame of the movie has the stop action on it so the viewer will not see my bounding box for the printed area.

The second frame just has junk drawn on it. NO movie symbols, NO print buttons, No labels allowing it to be printed (#p)

So I test the movie and what happens?

The first frame prints, AND THEN SO DOES THE SECOND ONE!!! EVen though there is NOTHING labeling the frame as printable!!!

Somebody please explain this to me. What else do I need to do to get Flash to print just ONE FRAME of my movie and why is this so hard for it to accomplish?

Please! If this doesn't work I am absolutely dead in the water on this project.

Thanks!

I´ve got the same problem, but looks like anybody knows this answer. There is more then 10 posts asking about printing a level on this forum.