dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ISP's mailto form

ISP's mailto form

i'm designing a site for a company. it was nearly completed until they said they want an email page within the swf. after reading several tutorials i didn't think this would be a problem. however, i contacted the company's exhisting ISP for the cgi url and it came back as:

http://www.internet-uk.net/cgi-bin/mailto.exe

exe?

the supplied example is an html form:

http://www.internet-uk.net/cgi-bin/mailto.htm

i haven't seen any exe files in any tutorials on mail scripts. can i still use this link within my flash movie (if so can anyone supply a little tutorial on how to do so?)? or do i specifically need a .cgi,.php, or .asp link (requiring a different ISP)?

Hi,

it seems that the ISP is running a windows server and has made their own solution. Since it can take data from a html form, it will take data from a flash form too. Whether they add any referer checks or are otherwise nasty to flash, is something you can only find out when trying

Musicman

okay, so i'm obviously not sending my variables correctly or something. All the tutorials I've seen on mail scripts use specific variables in the cgi program which they address from the swf. Should I be using specific variables?

I used the source code from the mailto.htm example to create an email page locally, which still worked! So theoretically, when my flash mail form works, it too should send mail from my local machine.

I've put the mailto.exe url in the loadVariablesNum script and experimented with both GET and POST (don't know the difference between these). What else should I be doing? Is there an alternative method?

I refuse to lower the standard of the site with a mailto link as this is my first professional project and I intend to make a maximum impression.

Hope you can provide some answers Musicman (or anyone else), deadline is approaching!

Hi,

use exactly the same names as in the sample html for the flash vars (might be case-sensitive)
    Now, check the <form> tag in the html: if it says method=get, use get in the movie, otherwise post
    Next, try the movie in netscape. If it works there but not with ie, there is a referrer check.
    Now, one more thing: is your site really www.internet-uk.net? If not, you have a problem with macromedia's third-party restriction.
    I do have an idea how to solve the problem - if you are interested in trying, please post or mail link to your own html email form

Musicman

hi

One of my ISP's uses mailto and the following AS works with them...maybe you to!!

on (release) {
    getURL("https://myProvider.com/cgi-bin/mailto/myname@mydomain.com","_blank", "POST");

hope it helps:-)