A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Drop Down with Buttons and more Buttons

Drop Down with Buttons and more Buttons

this seems very very simple as it is used everywhere, but damn if i can get it to work! i have a button on the stage that on 'over' shows a drop down list. when you roll down the list, the 'trial' new button i am using just flashes over and over like it is looping the first frame. no action...like the 2nd button never moves to 'over' etc. i remember in 5 that you couldn't put buttons in buttons...was hoping my MX would help me out with that. i'm soooo stuck and frustrated! does it need to be a movie clip with the button in the clip? i looked at some action scripts, but when i hit the 1st button, it says "Current Selection can not have actions applied to it."
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...i'm up all night to try to make my 'impressive' presentation tomorrow. arrrrgh!

Thanx!
    Not just another drop in the ocean...

I just finshed doing something similar. (Im new to this) I put the buttons inside the movie clip. The trigger also needs to be in the movie clip.

Buttons & More Buttons or Movie Clips?

Ivan:

Thank you for the reply. I figured it was something like that and have benn toying that way now. Can you further explain the 'trigger'?

Thanx again

http://ivanruiz.webhop.org/mastermindgroup/site1.html

Go there and you will see the site I am working on. The word menu is what I call the trigger. When you roll over it, the movie with the nav drops in. While it looks like thats all there is to it, it is actually part of the movie clip containing the nav. Tha being said, heres what i did:

I called the movie slidingmv.
    There is a stop on the first frame. Next layer has a the button "menu"

menu has :
    on (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(5);
    }

On frame 5 i have the menu sliding in and the nav buttons appearing.

The nav button has the code
    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay("philo");
    }
    Philo being my next scene. Anyway, after all that happens there is another stop. Now you have to create a hit area around the menu and nav so that when you roll away from the nav, it reverses (or seems to.) The hit area will be a button that plays from that point on. In my case
    on (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(50);
    }

Then the animation reverses. I recieved lots of help from the people here, and I hope I am as helpful as they were with me.

Take care. Write back if you have more qs

soooo close!!!

<<yawn>> this is exhausting me! i am so close. so i have the movie clip, stopped so it doesn't start right off, but then the option for 'on' so i can use my mouse rollover to get my buttons (nav) started is grayed out and not given to me as an option!

Ivan, you've been a great help...thanx.

Banned

movies, clips, buttons, argh

thank you oldnewbie...that just may make it all come together...i'll test it and update.
    if i want the very first dark blue rectangle to change color on rollover while the rest of the menu drops down...?

thank you for all of your help.

Banned

closer!

yet thank you again o.n.
    do you have the fla. file available for that last piece where the first rectangle can change properties?

Banned
    Try this...

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...g/dropMenu.fla

It's just an added layer in the menu mc.

buttons...movies...whatever...i'm tired

thanx again o.n.
    just call me amateur newbie...i get how your example works, but when used practically, how do you get it so that event doesn't happen right off the bat until a mouse over event? i often don't get that option in action script...it is grayed out...i only want it to change color and do the drop down when the mouse is over that certain clip...?? THANK YOU!!!

This Has GOT to be simple

I have 5 navigation movie clips. they have drop down lists with navigation buttons in the list. when i test my movie, the clip just continuously loops the list dropping over and over. i only want the lists to drop when the mouse goes over the movie clip symbol!! What am i missing?? Why does it play on its own over and over??

Thanks for the help anyone!

This Has GOT to be simple

I have 5 navigation movie clips. they have drop down lists with navigation buttons in the list. when i test my movie, the clip just continuously loops the list dropping over and over. i only want the lists to drop when the mouse goes over the movie clip symbol!! What am i missing?? Why does it play on its own over and over??

Thanks for the help anyone!

Update: Closer Yet!

Okay, I have the movie clip loaded on my main stage. I have "stop" in the first frame of the clip. When I test the movie, I do get action with the mouseover, but it just plays my drop down list really fast, and then goes back as if the mouse is not still over it. I can not figure out how to get the list with my buttons to stay on the screen until I move the mouse off of it. Save me...I am so friggin' tired...but CLOSE!

Thank you all for your help.