dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Masks in Buttons?

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a limitation in flash 4 with using masks in buttons? I have a button that I have a mask in which is placed on the stage in one of my scenes. Within flash the mask works fine on the stage but when I publish the mask does not work in the SWF file.

Any thoughts?

Best regards

Greg.

me too :(

I'm on Flash 5 and I have the sane question... I don't see why it wouldn't work, but my masks are coming undone in preview/publish as well, If anyone wants to take a look at my .fla, I'd be happy to send it to them... HELP PLEASE!

Hi Shaftbond... since putting this original post up I found some info on macromedia's site under flash support... and sure enough if you do a search on button masks it will come up with an item that states flash doesn't support masks in buttons... a shame it works so nicely within the authoring enviro.

gb.

Have you tried Creating a movie clip that does the mask and then just place the movie in the button over state.

Later

JLE

wow talk about timing. i was just having this problem this morning. firehawk, your idea worked. i thought of your solution too, but i was trying to use a graphic as a mask instead of a movie clip. once i changed the behaviour of the graphic with masks to a movie clip, it worked great. in other words www and shaft, create the desired effect in a movie clip, then drag the movie clip into your button.