dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flix or Squeeze?

Flix or Squeeze?

My company occasionally puts videos on the web for our clients.

In the past we always out-sourced the digitization and encoding to a video production company. Thanks to advice received here, we purchased Cleaner and set up a dedicated workstation to do our own encoding. This is proving to be a much better solution than counting on the production company to figure out what we need on the web.

So now we offer our clients their video encoded as Quicktime, Real and Windows Media for their web sites. But I'm thinking we should also be offering Flash MX as an alternative video format (or maybe as the main format in the near future).

So, to my question, should we get Squeeze or Flix to move video into Flash MX? We have no need of Flix's vector video functionality and generally feel that since Macromedia selected Sorensen so should we.

It seems to me Sorensen has a more complete history in producing video codecs. Given all this, the only benefit I see to using Flix is the capability to output in Flash 3-5 but as the Flash 6 player continues to penetrate the marketplace in leaps and bounds that may cease to be a significant advantage sometime soon.

Am I missing something here? Which tool do you guys and gals recommend?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

One more thing I forgot to ask.

Does either solution require end-users to download anything other than the Flash 6 player? (I know Flix offers an option to use older players but I'm really only interested in V6 here.)

To be perfectly clear, based on what I have read I believe that anyone with the Flash 6 player will be able to view my SWF containing embedded video regardless of whether it was created in Flash MX, Squeeze or Flix without downloading and having installed any other player, codec, plug-in, etc. Is that correct?

There is no plugin issue with either software. You may want to get both and find out what's best for your application. At $150 each, it's not that big of a deal.

Any other suggestions other than buy them both?

Could never figure out how if 98% of the people have the plug in, I could know so many people that dont have it. I have questioned hundreds of ordinary people from diverse backgrounds and the numbers that were compatable with even flash4 nowhere near approached that 98% mark. Then I checked every public internet cafe hotel lobby on South Beach and was further surprised to find less than half supported Flash 5 and many did not even have support for Flash 4.

My Mac G4 DP which I purchased almost exactly a year ago, came with Flash 4. I started checking and hosted a poll to see among other things if people download a plug-in when they come to a site that requires it or do they move on. By a large majority, the vote was move on.

Taking it a bit further I asked my mother who was at the time executive vice pres, of American Express Bank to see what kind of compatability they had at the office (New York). Except for a small minority nobody even had Flash 4.

In a talk show were I appeared with President of Presedia.com and an executive project manager for Flash to discuss alternative uses of Flash, I was surprised to find that Presedia also published in Flash 4. This surprised the Flash product manager as well and when asked why, he responded with my same findings.

Of the people I checked with in person- all were ordinary people from diverse backgrounds- a chef here an attorney there a school teacher etc... the only thing they had in common is that they were not internet buffs but they all had a computer and checked and surfed the net on a daily basis.

I am not going to argue with Macromedia about the accuracy of their tests. People alot smarter than me created those things, I don't believe them however.

If your worried about compatability, then dont be so inclined to believe what you read. The state of compatability on the internet today is the worst I have seen it since 12 years when I first started in this business. I cant even imagine a site that doesnt support 4x browsers yet they exist everywhere.

Just my .10

whiterabbit,

I'd have to agree with your assessment. Much of our primary business is plain old HTML web sites and we still strive for 4.0 if not 3.0 compatibility on our designs since our clients' customers are not always up to date.

And, I too take MM's claims with a grain of salt. However, based on what I've seen, the situation with the Flash player is probably still better than the players for Real & Quicktime and possibly even Windows media.

So, given that there are drawbacks to all the video formats, we are assuming the Flash MX player penetration will only go up from here and installing it (by end-users) is a whole lot less hassle than downloading and installing QT, Real or Windows Media (which of course they may already have).

Therefore, we are betting that Flash MX may be a very good way to distribute small videos in the near future. So, my interest is in figuring out the best way to do that. I know I can do it using the built-in Sorensen functionality but I am convinced we need more control and I have not yet decided if we can/should get that control from Flix or Squeeze.

I checked out one of the tutorials of Sorensons and liked it and I agree that MX in time will probably become a very compatable choice.

Since your making comparisons let me make your job harder, check out SV
    http://www.mantaproductions.com/demo.html

cheers,

jp