A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Whiteboard

Whiteboard

Help, Ive just downloaded mx server demo and want to set up the whiteboard on my website.
    The manual is making my head hurt and i was hoping someone would be able to explain (simply step by step) how i can upload the files and get them working.

Ive got a lot of experience using flash, but hardly any with the server side stuff.

psx = new Moderator();
    I imagine you're talking about the whiteboard component?

It's pretty easy. Drag it onto the stage as well as the simpleConnect component. Give the whiteboard an instance name. I usually use wb.

Now select the SC and open the properties panel. The first parameter is the location of the flashcom server. Put something like "rtmp://myserver/my_app" where "myserver" is the name/ip of your flashcom server, and my_app is a folder inside your applications directory of your flashcom server. Then for the next parameter add "wb" to point it to the whiteboard.

Now on the server, you have to put a main.asc file inside the folder we just pointed to. The main.asc file contains this one line:
    load("components.asc");

You can either create it in your text editor of choice, or look in the samples for one and copy it over. (look for a sample that uses components).

That should do it! Check out the docs that come with the server (probably the ones that are making your head hurt!) There's a chapter called "getting started" or something like that, that will walk you through a few examples.

Psx

Thanks psychlonex,
    Ive added the simple connect (SC) and actually used wb as the whiteboard instance name.
    i have rtmp:/wb which mirrors the working demos i have an i have added the main.asc file.
    It still doesnt work, looking at the working demos many seem to have sharedobject folders, which are pointed to from the communications Components could this be the problem, also the SCmc doesnt have an instance name is that important?
    I have looked again in the manual but its not making much sense yet!
    Help!

psx = new Moderator();
    You don't need to worry about the SharedObjects folder, that gets created by the server if the app needs it. Don't worry about the SC having an instance name. Shouldn't need that either.

Do you have your main.asc file inside the wb folder?

Are you hosting the swf on the same machine as the flashcom server? If you put the swf on a different server, you have to change the connection from "rtmp:/wb" to "rtmp://server/wb".

One annoying thing about the components is that they don't give you any info when they do/don't connect.

Psx

Doh!!!
    Then for the next parameter add "wb" to point it to the whiteboard.

Maybe if i learnt to read life would be easier!

Ok im impressed with server mx, have made a few changes to the whiteboard, basically removed the arrow points, am now going to try and find a way of clearing its memory, must be a reset button somewhere!!

psx = new Moderator();

Yeah, the wb is pretty cool, but it leaves alot to be desired eh?

I'm not sure, but check the whiteboard.asc (i think!) file inside the components folder on the server. There may be a clear in there already. If there is, you can just call it from the client using nc.call();

psx