A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: simple examples

simple examples

Hi,
    Have been working through some of macromedia's components for mx server and some are pretty cool, but they are all reasonably complicated (for me) does anyone know where i can find some simple examples ,i.e. source code which i might be able to make sense of.
    Have made a few modifications to macromedia's whiteboard, but to be honest im getting lost, cant even work out how to erase lines or clear the memory, does anyone know where the information from the server is saved too! and is it accesable?
    Last edited by mark_horsell; 10-08-2002 at 04:22 PM.

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey Mark -
    I just replied to your email, but for the sake of the forum, I'll post a shortened version here!

The component server-side code can be found inside the "C:\Program Files\macromedia\flashcom\scriptlib\components" directory. Replace C with whatever your drive is.

The whiteboard is pretty cool, but leaves alot to be desired in my opinion. On the mac, I had to edit the delete function inside the wb component (client-side) to get it to recognize the delete key. (this may be due to the smaller laptop keyboard tho)

Finally - for examples, there are a few on my site and I'm slowly working up a few more. The "getting started" chapter in the docs that come with the server are a great place start. My favorite has been "shared ball" and "shared text". 2 very simple examples, but they really help to understand how things work.

Psx

Ok; since you seem to have some experience here ... do you know of any possible reason why the demo applications wouldn't work on my computer? I downloaded the trial version + installed in development mode, but when I open the sample applications, they can't seem to connect. Any idea of what might be causing this?
    Thanks.
    _S.

psx = new Moderator();
    What os are you using? You need at least win2k. Xp works fine as well, but it doesn't work with 98.

If that isn't it... you have to make sure the service is started (look for flashcom in the task manager). If the service is running, check to make sure you don't have any firewall software running.

I'm guessing you've got all the files on one machine, and are trying to test it from that same machine. It should work right away without much trouble.

Psx

Yeah, that was it, I'm using Windows 98. Thanks for pointing it out though, now I can stop wondering what I was not doing right . Did they actually mention that on macromedia's website? Must've missed it if they did...

psx = new Moderator();
    I made the same mistake a while back

It is on the macromedia site and I even read it before I downloaded.. I proceeded to disregard their system requirements and gave it a shot anyway. Why not? Coldfusion says it need win2k, but it works on 98. I figured it would work as well.

Oh well. Lesson learned! Read/believe the system requirements! That would have saved me the day it took to reformat and install 2k.

Psx

Thta's terrible I really don't get why it's not compatible with 98... I hope it's gonna be this way with all new software - I think I want to keep my Dell for a while. I guess there's a good reason though.

Arckid - Curving the Web
    Originally posted by psychlonex
    Hey Mark -
    I just replied to your email, but for the sake of the forum, I'll post a shortened version here!

The component server-side code can be found inside the "C:\Program Files\macromedia\flashcom\scriptlib\components" directory. Replace C with whatever your drive is.

The whiteboard is pretty cool, but leaves alot to be desired in my opinion. On the mac, I had to edit the delete function inside the wb component (client-side) to get it to recognize the delete key. (this may be due to the smaller laptop keyboard tho)

Finally - for examples, there are a few on my site and I'm slowly working up a few more. The "getting started" chapter in the docs that come with the server are a great place start. My favorite has been "shared ball" and "shared text". 2 very simple examples, but they really help to understand how things work.

Psx
    hi,

did you try to integrate your FREEHAND feature to MM's Whiteboard?

thx for your time in advance.
    Ashvin Savani (Arckid)

CEO & Founder, Avinashi Systems Pvt. Ltd.
    Team Macromedian
    Avinashi Videomail - My latest work