A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PLEASE HELP: button and movie clip HELP!!

PLEASE HELP: button and movie clip HELP!!

I've postd this several times. You'll see it in 'Cool menu items, How did they do this'.

No one can seem to help me???

I need to initiate a movie clip on a button and having trouble...my posting is like 3rd one down in FLASH MX help.

http://www.studioxmedia.com/menu.fla
    http://www.studioxmedia.com/menu.swf

I know it is simple, but I'm new with buttons.

Any help would be appreciated. I've spent the last 3 nites on this stupid thing..

THANKS!!
    fitchic77

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Hello,
    I have your fla, now describe in detail what the problems are so I can go directly to the problem..

Thanks..
    3PRIMATES

BLESS YOU.

What I need is this menu: http://www.suryahenna.com.br

BUT...there is always a but. I need to have a drop down menu (submenu) also.

I can't figure out how to do the rectangle extending from left to right on a mouse OVER and then do the submenu drop.

It is probably really simple. I'm new with buttons.

Much appreciated!!!
    fitchic77

3PriMATES:

I worked on it all night long again and updated my .fla...I'm closer but no CIGAR yet.

Thanks for some help.
    Andrea

You have to create a movieclip and name it for example "menu", where you scale the rectangle and then once it is scaled the dropdown menu appears. In the first frame make a stop in the actions layer. In the second frame name the frame in the property inspector "start". Put a stop action in the last frame. Then put the following as on your button:
    on(Rollover){
    _root.menu.goToAndPlay("start");
    }

Hope that helps you moving on.

Hi there,
    just to let you know, its going to take a bit
    of work to whip it in shape..

Im going to go ahead and change some things to the way I would do them. If you dont like the subtle changes, you can always use the rest as a guide for a repair to what you are doing.

Getting rid of duplicate actions
    Removing keyframes that are not necessary
    Removing unwanted or warrented frames
    Compiling actions and labels onto one frame
    Downsizing background images
    Rescaling images
    Recreating button navigation
    Reworking guides
    Adjusting images and objects to new guides

and more..LOL..

The text slide in may be a bit different. In order to make your fla more user friendly for future editing, I am reworking alot of things..

I hope you like it... Ill keep working on it this evening and post it later if its finished..
    Please post questions if have them and Ill get back to them ASAP.

Laters..
    3PRIMATES

Dont ask me why Im doing all this, guess Im just a nice guy..hehe:o)

Thanks. You are too sweet to help me out.

I'm new to flash, but am a Sr. programmer...imagine that?? I have design experience...sure hope I didn't goof that up?

So forgive THE MESSY FLA!!!

I worked on it all last nite and got a little closer...I'll wait on your POST.

Thanks...you are the best.
    Andrea
    Last edited by fitchic77; 10-10-2002 at 07:43 AM.

Hi again..
    Its getting closer..
    Im just working out some bugs in the buttons. The slide outs are working, and there are now submenu links on the photo and video slide out menus..

I figured you didnt want all of the slide outs to have submenu navigation, so I didnt add the buttons to them.. Although I did leave the stuff you would need to add them at a later date.

Im in the process of commenting the FLA for you..It may make it a little easier to see what Ive done..But at this point Im getting lost in it..

You kind of have to think of flash kind of the way you think about building a relational database: You can sub catagorize too much and in the end slow everything down.. Simple, clean, code and re-use of library items always helps, as does organization.

Getting a naming scheme down, and staying with it throughout your projects will really help you out in the long run...
    i.e.

myBigMc
    myBigMc_Y
    myBigImage
    myBigButton_01
    myBigButton_02
    But your a programer, so you already know all this..

Ill work on your project when I get up and get to you what I have completed..It 5:00 am and I need to get a bit of sleep..)

Laters...And have a nice morning/afternoon..
    3PRIMATES

You are SO nutty...3PRIMATES!!!

Get some sleep guy!! You didn't have to do all that for me...I just need SOME help but I guess I needed LOTS OF HELP.

Yeah. I know about the naming schema...just wanted to get it to work first and then I was gonna rename everything....

THANKS A MILLION...OWE YA DEARLY.
    fitchic77

Well hello there,
    I hope this will work for you.. I did a few extras and alot of commenting of the fla..

I would suggest changing the actionscript in your buttons to dot syntax instead of the old actionscript tell targets..

I didnt script any of the buttons, because I didnt know what you were going to do with them....

If you need some more help, please feel free to contact me anytime..Maybe we can work out a trade of services or something..)

Dont forget to save a copy, because I have a feeling its going to take you awhile to see what Ive done and how things are put together.

A little bit of advice:
    When you are creating movie clips, try not to resize the clip.. Its ok to resize and tween graphics and Mcs, but make sure they return to there original size.

When creating alpha fades.. Dont fade from 0 to 100 but rather from 1 to 99.. This way is much less processor intensive.

Again, hope it helps, and please let me see the fihished product..

3PRIMATES...

view the SWF
    Download the FLA

OH MY GOD...I OWE YOU MY LIFE!!!

You need to email me directly and give me an address or something so I can send you a gift certificate to OUTBACK steakhouse or wherever...I promise you I will send you off for a nice DINNER...seriously.

I will study the code. I can't believe you did it all!!!! I'm dying here...really I am.

I'm really serious about doing something nice for you...so email me.

fitchic77@yahoo.com

Regarding trading out...anyday!!! Here is what I know...Oracle, ASP, Javascript, Cold Fusion, PHP, MYSQL, Parsing Functions, UNIX, etc...

I'm sure you know all of that already since you are SO SMART!!!

You are just the best. I will study the code right now!!

Please email me...really!!

Just curious...was this thing a beginner, intermediate or advanced thing?

BLESS YOU!!
    fitchic77

Well thank you for the kudos..

I love to create and to be of help, Ill get my rewards through good karma..LOL

Ill send you a message from here so you know that its me..is your flashkit email turned on?

As far as how advanced is the flash...Well that is hard to say..
    The hardest part is keeping everything in order and targeting the many timelines.

And also it depends on what you judge to be "advanced".
    I myself consider the most advanced flash sites to be very heavy with advanced actionscript and be dynamically updated through a middle ware ASP or PHP.
    I myself create more frame oriented sites. I feel more comfortable with the design than the actionscript, but I am getting better at php and AS.

If I was going to have to say, it would be at an intermediate level.
    The flash itself is a little dirty, and if I was going to create it from the ground up I would have done things differently, but I didnt want to destroy your creation with my framework. Dont take me wrong, its not bad, its just that the nesting of the clips is very heavy, and although I did what I could to make it as easiest as possible for you to alter, its still a little dense.

After you get the movies loading and your loaders and content, I think the site will be on the advanced side of the scale..

Im glad I could help..It makes my soul feel good to be of service..

3PRIMATES

Hey Andrea!

Seeing as you`re in such a good mood, can you check out my post on the PHPforFlash forum, where I`m stuck with that chapter one problem (the download registration form). Seems everyone and their dog got it solved, but nope, not me! There are so many possible culprits that I`ve lost track of all the permutations of configuration and syntax that I`ve tried, and the prospect of resetting everything and starting from scratch brings a tear and a twitch to my eye. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

REMEMBER EVERYONE:

P A Y I T F O R W A R D

...if you don't know what this means go and rent the movie.

SURGPIG..can you start a separate post for your problem and email me and I will help you: fitchic77@yahoo.com
    The reason for the new post will to help someone else with the problem in the future.

3PRIMATES: quick question...(YOUR A DOLL BY THE WAY) Does macromedia have a charting area which shows how embdedded each movie clip is. IF NOT...that would be a HUGE AND WONDERFUL ENHANCEMENT REQUEST we should make known to them. This would be much easier to figure where in GOD's NAME you ARE in this whole messy process.

FOR EXAMPLE:

movie_clip1 (on main timeline)
    |
    ---> movie_clip 2 (embedded inside mc1)
    |
    ---> movie_clip 3 (embedded inside mc 2)

ETC,ETC,

THANKS AGAIN!!
    Andrea
    Last edited by fitchic77; 10-11-2002 at 07:26 AM.

Andrea

Sure, I`ll post a new thread in the Scripting/Backend forum, and a fresh one in the PhpforFlash forum later.

By the way, hit f4 in Flash to bring up the movie explorer, which shows you the layout of your movie (AS, nested MC`s etc...).

Cheers

Thanks, but Flash 5 and Flash MX f4 doesn't do that. Is there a name associated with it so I can find out where this is done in Flash MX.

Thanks,
    Andrea

f4 works for me, but also window-->movie explorer...