A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any Google experts?

Any Google experts?

How can I successfully index a site in Google which is totally in Flash? Thanks!

Only one way. You build a sister site in html and piggyback the flash site on that. The secret to ranking well on any search engine is to have many pages with good content that their spiders can read. That leaves out Flash. With a totally flash site, you have one html page. Not too interesting to a spider. Yes, you can submit that one page to Google, and you can get it 'indexed', but you are limited in what you can get out of your meta-tags on one page. Getting indexed is not the same as getting a number one ranking.

Yep, that is the solution most people are giving me... however, I was wondering if anyone found a work around to this search engine issue.

Well, a couple weeks ago, I thought I saw a glimmer of hope. I saw an article that claimed that Fast had found a way to spider flash sites. After some research, it just turned out to be them reading the default meta-tags and the couple lines of links and some keywords that Flash publishes in the html output. The keywords were overblown, and there were far too many dupes of words, which can get you in trouble too. So as yet, there is no search algo that can dig into a swf and see what's really there. It could happen some day though, and probably will. I think flash is the future of web design, and to keep up with it, the search engines will have to do something.

What if you copy and paste all the content inside the index page?

Not sure what you mean. If you copy say all the links used and all the keywords used inside the movie, into the html, they would be visible on the page. The only way to make them not seen, would be to put them in comment tags, and virtually all spiders ignore anything inside a comment tag. <!-- In fact, this may have been what Fast was reading, but I've lost the link to the article, so can't check it. Now that would be easily remedied by the techs that set the perameters of the algorhythm the spiders use.