A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sending variables HTML form

sending variables HTML form

I have a flash movie and when the user clicks on a button in the movie a pop-up window opens containg a form.

I was wondering if it's possible to fill in
    one of the fields in the form when the user click on the button that opens the window.

So user clicks button, pop-up opens, first field in the form already has name in it sent from the flash file.

Any suggestions, preferbly very easy ones that don't involve cgi or xml

You will probably have to be using some sort of scripting language, but it can be something easy and straightforward like ASP or PHP. You can just pass the value you want filled in at the end of your url:

GetURL("popupForm.asp?firstName=" + firstName, "_blank");

Then in whatever scripting language you can just put the value into the field. If you are using PHP this would work something like this:

<input type="text" name="firstName" value="<?=$HTTP_GET_VARS['firstName'];?>" maxlength="32" size="32">

That should do it, and I can't think of any way to do it without a scripting language, or something more complicated with javascript.

Hi,

you can do that with javascript too: if a html page is called as x.html?y=z, the location.search property will be ?y=z
    YOu can use this to set the value of a html form element or document.write that to another movie's embedding

Musicman