A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fast way to split string?

fast way to split string?

fast way to split string?

I know there are a lot of threads about this subject, but i still need some help. i'm making a calender. all the data is in a text file as folllows:

&data=10/11/2002=event on this day|11/12/2002=event on this day|15/12/2002=event on this day|...&.

now i now how to split all the data and put it into arrays, but this goes to slow. i've seen some scripts around here wich bypass the string.split() that i use, but i can't figure out how to use them for my case. can some help me with a bit of explination.... thx P-Sch1FT
    I think...I dreamed...in pixels last night...

Hi,

there is a prototype function mysplit like that:
    put code into first frame
    Code:
    String.prototype.mysplit = function (ch) {
    	var k, s, l = this.length;var res = new Array();
    	for (k=s=1; k<=l; k++) {
    		if (substring(this, k, 1) == ch)
    		{res.push(substring(this, s, k-s));s = k+1;}
    	}
            if (s<=l) {res.push(substring(this, s, l-s+1));}
    	return res;
    }
    Now, shwerever you want to split something, use xy.mysplit(',') instead of xy.split(',')

Musicman

is that it? thx a lot i'll give it a go as soon as i can go home from this lazy job.
    P-Sch1FT

it won't work. i tried several things but i don't understand the String.prototype.mysplit = function (ch) line. my text file looks like this.

&DATA=20/11/2002=event on this day|21/11/2002=event on this day|26/12/2002=event on this day|......&loaded=ok

i want to split data first at the | sign, after this it should again split at the = sign. now I guess the (ch) in the first line represents a ',' yes? no?

help wanted.......
    P-Sch1FT

Hi,

this should just be a something.mysplit('|') for the main split and somethingelse.mysplit('=') for the sub splits

Musicman

hi,

i don't know why but it doesn't split. if i put a trace(this) on the first line the result gives me the whole string AND the first character of this string (i.e. result= This is the whole string AND T)

this is because the first split doesn't work, i can't figure out why, but if i put a trace in the first FOR loop, no trace happens, so i guess it never loops. ??? even more

watching the code now, i might know why, the 1 and l looks pretty much the same, i probably made a mistake somewhere
    P-Sch1FT (struggling and learning)
    thx