A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scrolling text in a MC

Scrolling text in a MC

I'm having trouble making a scrolling text field in a movieclip. I made the dynamic text field, set it to multiple lines, dragged the scrollbar component onto it, and then put my text in the field. When I publish the movie the scrollbar shows up and seems to work but there is no text in the field. I'm sure I made the scrolling field right, because I can copy and paste it into the main timeline(_level0) and it works fine. But if I have it in a movieClip the text doesn't show up. Does the scrollbar component only work on level 0? Do I need to do something different in making the field if it is in a movieclip?

Thanks for any help
    Bill

Senior Member of Toon Army lucky-black-cat's Avatar
    Hi

I've just read a post with a similar problem ... try embedding the font. Click the "Character" button to the right of the variable box, then choose "Embed Font Outlines For All Characters".
    http://www.property-in-the-sun.com
    Cheap Holidays in Andalucia Spain for Flash Programmers from 2005!

Thanks a ton Lucky. that did the trick. Do you know why you have to embed the font if it is in a MC and you don't if it is in the main timeline. Not that it really matters as lo9ng as it works, just wondering if there is a reason behind it.

Bill

Senior Member of Toon Army lucky-black-cat's Avatar
    Hi

No I don't know .. a guess is that it is an class object definition thing? lol
    http://www.property-in-the-sun.com
    Cheap Holidays in Andalucia Spain for Flash Programmers from 2005!