dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: General Database help?

General Database help?

Hello and thanks for your time.

I have a Lotus DB and I need to transfer it to Access DB
    with full functionality, queries etc.
    I know nothing of DB development, this is a paying job, I can't pay allot, but I can pay...

If you think you can help, email me at:
    cyberup@bigpond.net.au

and I will give you the files for the Lotus Database for you to view and see if you can help, I am thinking that a new Access DB needs to be created and then the info from the Lotus DB inserted as Access does not convert the Lotus DB properly?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Craig
    Chip the glasses and crack the plates! Blunt the knives and bend the forks! That's what Bilbo Baggins hates-Smash the bottles and burn the corks!

they call me the_jump... le_saut's Avatar

CSV

G'day Craig--

My best suggestion would be to export it from Lotus as a CSV file. Access can import CSV natively without any difficulties. You don't need any SQL queries at all to accomplish this.
    Just create the tables in Access to match the Lotus one and do File -> Get External Data... i think.

When exporting the file try and make sure the delimiter is a pipe character -> | <-. This way there is less chance of a mix up with data as the comma is a common chr.

eg

id|name|email
    1|James|nospam@we bqs.com

Cheers
    James

Hi mate

I have no idea where to even start with DB creation, nevermind trying to replicate an exisring DB, what is a delimiter?

Anyhoo, would you be able to do this? I am trying to avoid sitting down and learning to create databases as I have very little spare time outside of work as it is.

Let me know if you can do this, or I will have to try and find someone else..

Maybe even if you could replicate the DB for me and I was to input the data? that would be OK..

Cheers
    Craig
    Chip the glasses and crack the plates! Blunt the knives and bend the forks! That's what Bilbo Baggins hates-Smash the bottles and burn the corks!

I don't have Lotus sofware of any kind. If there is a menu item called File -> Save As -> CSV then you should be able to export the tables in a format that Access can read.

A delimiter is a character that separates out content for a database to read.
    1|james|me@webqs. com -> here the delimiter is |
    1~james~me@webqs. com - > here it is ~

So if you have three fields in a table then you can read the 3 records above straight in. Of course if my name was ja|mes that would present a problem as there would then be 4 records for 3 fields.

Let me know how this goes. Don't have much time at the mo' either.

Cheers
    James

Thanks mate

Thanks heaps for the help, I will definately give that a go.

I will still hold out for someone that can build a DB for me ...cheers

Re: Thanks mate

I will still hold out for someone that can build a DB for me ...cheers
    I can build a db no problems... if it's for a website I'd do it in MySQL normally.
    If this is a part of a project that requires someone to do this, give me an email james at webqs.com. I'm based in Sydney.

Cheers